RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

  • Clive Alexander
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 7, 2013

      Ok! OK! I stand corrected!

      Thanks for al the replies. It is going to be fun going through all this. Who knows what gem awaits us?

      Clive

      From: amclenn1@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400

      I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

      Adele McLennan

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
        Thank you very much. This worked. I haven't found anything I on my family yet, but I am happily hunting in St. Helena records now.

        Terri Sager

        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        From: clivealex@...
        Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:36:14 +0200

        Hi Folks

        I have figured it out.

        In the original email we got it refers to project 524 in the link.

        So when you get through to the British Libray , you will see a search place asking for EAP number. Type 524 into that space, click on “search” and the records come up. I am not sure at this stage if that is all there is to it, but go for it, anyway

        Cheers

        Clive Stanbridge Alexander

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
          Hilary

          Thank you for the tip. This worked.

          Terri

          To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: hab1958@...
          Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:20:49 +0000

          Hi

          If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

          http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

          I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

          It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

          Happy Searching!
          Hilary

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

          > Same here.
          > Terri Sager
          >
          > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          > From: amclenn1@...
          > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

          > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
          > to how to use it.
          >
          > Adele McLennan

        • John Coyle
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013

            Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

            Regards

            John Coyle

            President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

            Web: www.shatps.org

            If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

            http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

            I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

            It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

            Happy Searching!
            Hilary

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

            > Same here.
            > Terri Sager
            >
            > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > From: amclenn1@...
            > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
            > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

            > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
            > to how to use it.
            >
            > Adele McLennan

          • Dave Beakhust
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
              I would like to offer two speculative thoughts on the use of jpeg vs any other format.
              It seems unlikely that the format used to record the original images is jpg. I would like to guess the originals are TIFF or (proprietary) "Camera RAW".  If the original images are only held as JPG that is indeed regrettable as it involves lossy compression.  I suspect that for publication on the web an expedient was sought that kept the file sizes manageable. Perhaps the BL can publish in another format if good reasons can be shown?
              Secondly, many or most of these records being handwritten, automating any aspect of transcribing or indexing looks like a tall order. The indexing and abstraction from 18th and 19th cent newspapers produces occasional misleading results because of imperfect OCR. I do notice that newspapers online do seem to produce PDFs, though.

              Dave b

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 8 Apr 2013, at 23:39, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...> wrote:

              Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

              Regards

              John Coyle

              President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

              Web: www.shatps.org

              If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

              http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

              I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

              It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

              Happy Searching!
              Hilary

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

              > Same here.
              > Terri Sager
              >
              > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              > From: amclenn1@...
              > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

              > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
              > to how to use it.
              >
              > Adele McLennan

            • Lara
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                Wow! There is a gold mine of information here. Thank you so much for sharing this info. I wish I were better at reading writing from the 1600s. It is gorgeous but hard to read. The writing from the 1840s is completely different. Not pretty and even harder to read. As others have written there is a huge amount to read through. This is what historians spend years doing. I am so happy that this is on the web and that we have access to primary sources.

                Since this is so much information, it would be helpful, if those of us that are reading through this info could share what you have found out with the group. If you transcribe any of the documents, please share it with the group. I think this would be very helpful. This way we could attack this research as a group rather than alone.

                Also, I would like to know if anyone knows the names of the original planters on St. Helena? After doing research, I have found out that I am not related to just one person on St. Helena but several. I am related to all of these people below. I assume they were original planters or the sons and daughters of original planters.

                Benjamin Seale and wife Mary Doughtey
                Jonathan Higham and wife Priscilla
                Thomas Gargen and wife Susannah Gurling (Susannah was the daughter of
                Richard Gurling)
                Francis Funge
                Richard Alexander and wife
                William French and wife Mary Box
                Matthew Bazett
                John Worral, Sr. and wife Sarah

                I wonder if anyone has ever done research on the original platers and who they married.

                Thank you.

                I hope everyone is well and enjoying Spring or Fall.

                Lara
              • Sandra Roberts
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                  thanks for the link Terry
                  it works yah :)

                  If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                  http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                  I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                  It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                  Happy Searching!
                  Hilary

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                  > Same here.
                  > Terri Sager
                  >
                  > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: amclenn1@...
                  > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                  > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                  > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                  > to how to use it.
                  >
                  > Adele McLennan

                • John Coyle

                    Web: www.shatps.org <http://www.shatps.org>

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                    > Same here.
                    > Terri Sager
                    >
                    > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > From: amclenn1@...
                    > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                    > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                    > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                    > to how to use it.
                    >
                    > Adele McLennan

                  • David Beakhust
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 13, 2013
                      A further thought came to mind.
                      At present, the data may be accessed free of charge. If pay per view
                      access were to be introduced, then pdf (ie multipage) views would not
                      offer a good revenue model. Another issue is server loading.
                      I do appreciate your point, though.
                      For now I am delighted that any access is available, and will cheer on
                      efforts to continue the project.

                      Dave