RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

  • Terri Sager
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
      Same here.

      Terri Sager

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: amclenn1@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

      I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

      Adele McLennan

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
        Hi

        If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

        http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

        I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

        It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

        Happy Searching!
        Hilary

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

        > Same here.
        > Terri Sager
        >
        > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        > From: amclenn1@...
        > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

        > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
        > to how to use it.
        >
        > Adele McLennan

      • Clive Alexander
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013

          Hi Folks

          I have figured it out.

          In the original email we got it refers to project 524 in the link.

          So when you get through to the British Libray , you will see a search place asking for EAP number. Type 524 into that space, click on “search” and the records come up. I am not sure at this stage if that is all there is to it, but go for it, anyway

          Cheers

          Clive Stanbridge Alexander

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013

            As David said in his post, there are a hell of a lot of pages to wade through. These documents must have been photo’ed by a Robot. Of the first book, the first 6 pages are blank!

            Clive

            I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

            Adele McLennan

            I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However,  I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names.  Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?

            Linda Mehlinger

          • A.H.Schulenburg
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 7, 2013
              Clive,

              For a full scholarly record of such a document, even blank pages need to be photographed.

              Regards,
              Alexander

              As David said in his post, there are a hell of a lot of pages to wade through. These documents must have been photo’ed by a Robot. Of the first book, the first 6 pages are blank!

              Clive

              I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

              Adele McLennan

              I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However,  I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names.  Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?

              Linda Mehlinger

            • Dave Beakhust
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 7, 2013
                I believe the convention is that all pages are photographed - even blank ones. How else would you know if some had been missed?

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 7, 2013
                  Sorry , bad form to reply to my own, but  perhaps i should add:
                  For those who will encounter these records and be taken aback by the fact they can only be browsed page by page, and there are neither transcripts nor indexes (nor, as has been pointed out, even dates on every page), remember this is how records were through most of recorded history, and searching them effectively is a skill in itself.
                  And regarding blank pages, anyone who has searched in original documents or twiddled through miles of microfilm will recognise finding an odd page filled in in the middle of a range of blank ones, entries in the back, doodles, and unrelated notes.

                  Good hunting!

                  Daveb

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 7, 2013

                    Ok! OK! I stand corrected!

                    Thanks for al the replies. It is going to be fun going through all this. Who knows what gem awaits us?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                      Thank you very much. This worked. I haven't found anything I on my family yet, but I am happily hunting in St. Helena records now.

                      Terri Sager

                      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                        Hilary

                        Thank you for the tip. This worked.

                        Terri

                        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        From: hab1958@...
                        Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:20:49 +0000

                        Hi

                        If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                        http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                        I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                        It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                        Happy Searching!
                        Hilary

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                        > Same here.
                        > Terri Sager
                        >
                        > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: amclenn1@...
                        > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                        > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                        > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                        > to how to use it.
                        >
                        > Adele McLennan

                      • John Coyle
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013

                          Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

                          Regards

                          John Coyle

                          President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

                          Web: www.shatps.org

                          If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                          http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                          I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                          It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                          Happy Searching!
                          Hilary

                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                          > Same here.
                          > Terri Sager
                          >
                          > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: amclenn1@...
                          > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                          > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                          > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                          > to how to use it.
                          >
                          > Adele McLennan

                        • Dave Beakhust
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                            I would like to offer two speculative thoughts on the use of jpeg vs any other format.
                            It seems unlikely that the format used to record the original images is jpg. I would like to guess the originals are TIFF or (proprietary) "Camera RAW".  If the original images are only held as JPG that is indeed regrettable as it involves lossy compression.  I suspect that for publication on the web an expedient was sought that kept the file sizes manageable. Perhaps the BL can publish in another format if good reasons can be shown?
                            Secondly, many or most of these records being handwritten, automating any aspect of transcribing or indexing looks like a tall order. The indexing and abstraction from 18th and 19th cent newspapers produces occasional misleading results because of imperfect OCR. I do notice that newspapers online do seem to produce PDFs, though.

                            Dave b

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On 8 Apr 2013, at 23:39, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...> wrote:

                            Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

                            Regards

                            John Coyle

                            President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

                            Web: www.shatps.org

                            If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                            http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                            I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                            It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                            Happy Searching!
                            Hilary

                            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                            > Same here.
                            > Terri Sager
                            >
                            > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: amclenn1@...
                            > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                            > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                            > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                            > to how to use it.
                            >
                            > Adele McLennan

                          • Lara
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                              Wow! There is a gold mine of information here. Thank you so much for sharing this info. I wish I were better at reading writing from the 1600s. It is gorgeous but hard to read. The writing from the 1840s is completely different. Not pretty and even harder to read. As others have written there is a huge amount to read through. This is what historians spend years doing. I am so happy that this is on the web and that we have access to primary sources.

                              Since this is so much information, it would be helpful, if those of us that are reading through this info could share what you have found out with the group. If you transcribe any of the documents, please share it with the group. I think this would be very helpful. This way we could attack this research as a group rather than alone.

                              Also, I would like to know if anyone knows the names of the original planters on St. Helena? After doing research, I have found out that I am not related to just one person on St. Helena but several. I am related to all of these people below. I assume they were original planters or the sons and daughters of original planters.

                              Benjamin Seale and wife Mary Doughtey
                              Jonathan Higham and wife Priscilla
                              Thomas Gargen and wife Susannah Gurling (Susannah was the daughter of
                              Richard Gurling)
                              Francis Funge
                              Richard Alexander and wife
                              William French and wife Mary Box
                              Matthew Bazett
                              John Worral, Sr. and wife Sarah

                              I wonder if anyone has ever done research on the original platers and who they married.

                              Thank you.

                              I hope everyone is well and enjoying Spring or Fall.

                              Lara
                            • Sandra Roberts
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                thanks for the link Terry
                                it works yah :)

                                If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                                http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                                I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                                It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                                Happy Searching!
                                Hilary

                                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                > Same here.
                                > Terri Sager
                                >
                                > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: amclenn1@...
                                > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                > to how to use it.
                                >
                                > Adele McLennan

                              • John Coyle

                                  Web: www.shatps.org <http://www.shatps.org>

                                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                  > Same here.
                                  > Terri Sager
                                  >
                                  > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > From: amclenn1@...
                                  > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                  > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                  > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                  > to how to use it.
                                  >
                                  > Adele McLennan

                                • David Beakhust
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 13, 2013
                                    A further thought came to mind.
                                    At present, the data may be accessed free of charge. If pay per view
                                    access were to be introduced, then pdf (ie multipage) views would not
                                    offer a good revenue model. Another issue is server loading.
                                    I do appreciate your point, though.
                                    For now I am delighted that any access is available, and will cheer on
                                    efforts to continue the project.

                                    Dave