RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

  • Marian Press
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 5 10:51 AM

      Linda:

      There is a Search button at the top of the page. It sends you to a spot where you can do a keyword search and then limit results to St. Helena.  I haven’t decided yet how well it works, but it did bring up documents with my Greentree name when I asked.

      Marian Press

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 5 11:13 AM
        It looks as if the priorities (rightly for a damp, warm place without
        conservation-standard storage) is preserving images of the records on
        film, before they fall apart, rot, are eaten or wash away in a tsunami.
        I wonder whether indexing projects have been set up, but perhaps they
        should if they haven't yet. With online images, indexing and
        transcription does not have to be confined to the Island, I suppose.
        However, none of that (indexing, etc) can happen unless the raw data is
        filmed, and if there are limited resources they should surely be
        directed to that preservation.

        I think the short answer to searching for individuals for now is to do
        it how everyone did it 20+ years ago and search the documents page by
        page. Ah- the thrill of the search!

        At least online, the books weigh nothing and there are no queues for
        rolls of film, readers, fiche or bound volumes. I think I worked out
        that in extracting all of my surname from 150 years of civil indexes for
        England and Wales, I shifted 150*4*3 = 1800 books weighing a few
        kilogrammes each - say anything between four and ten tons, and recorded
        the results longhand. That's ignoring the extra lookups to find spouses,
        of course. Multiply that by the thousands of people who have done just
        the same, and the benefits of online documents that are preferably
        transcribed and indexed become clear.

        It does make you admire the contribution of people doing transcription
        and indexing projects, that make remote genealogy research SO much easier.

        DaveB

        On 05/04/2013 16:10, Linda wrote:
        > Greetings!
        >
        > I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However, I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names. Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?
        >
        > Linda Mehlinger

      • Rob & Adele McLennan
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 5 12:45 PM
          I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

          Adele McLennan

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 6 11:34 AM
            I must be dense as I tried that twice and all that comes up are special projects? Maybe I'm doing it wrong??

            Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:51 PM

            Linda:

            There is a Search button at the top of the page. It sends you to a spot where you can do a keyword search and then limit results to St. Helena.  I haven’t decided yet how well it works, but it did bring up documents with my Greentree name when I asked.

            Marian Press

            I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However,  I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names.  Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?

            Linda Mehlinger

          • Terri Sager
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 6 11:46 AM
              Same here.

              Terri Sager

              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: amclenn1@...
              Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6 1:20 PM
                Hi

                If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                Happy Searching!
                Hilary

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                > Same here.
                > Terri Sager
                >
                > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                > From: amclenn1@...
                > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                > to how to use it.
                >
                > Adele McLennan

              • Clive Alexander
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 6 11:36 PM

                  Hi Folks

                  I have figured it out.

                  In the original email we got it refers to project 524 in the link.

                  So when you get through to the British Libray , you will see a search place asking for EAP number. Type 524 into that space, click on “search” and the records come up. I am not sure at this stage if that is all there is to it, but go for it, anyway

                  Cheers

                  Clive Stanbridge Alexander

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 6 11:40 PM

                    As David said in his post, there are a hell of a lot of pages to wade through. These documents must have been photo’ed by a Robot. Of the first book, the first 6 pages are blank!

                    Clive

                    I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

                    Adele McLennan

                    I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However,  I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names.  Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?

                    Linda Mehlinger

                  • A.H.Schulenburg
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 7 2:09 AM
                      Clive,

                      For a full scholarly record of such a document, even blank pages need to be photographed.

                      Regards,
                      Alexander

                      As David said in his post, there are a hell of a lot of pages to wade through. These documents must have been photo’ed by a Robot. Of the first book, the first 6 pages are blank!

                      Clive

                      I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as to how to use it.

                      Adele McLennan

                      I saw the post about the Archive project. I am really impressed with what was done. However,  I am not sure how we can use them to search for individuals. Someone mentioned that they saw all the familiar names.  Can we use these records in anyway to search for surnames?

                      Linda Mehlinger

                    • Dave Beakhust
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 7 2:48 AM
                        I believe the convention is that all pages are photographed - even blank ones. How else would you know if some had been missed?

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 7 3:05 AM
                          Sorry , bad form to reply to my own, but  perhaps i should add:
                          For those who will encounter these records and be taken aback by the fact they can only be browsed page by page, and there are neither transcripts nor indexes (nor, as has been pointed out, even dates on every page), remember this is how records were through most of recorded history, and searching them effectively is a skill in itself.
                          And regarding blank pages, anyone who has searched in original documents or twiddled through miles of microfilm will recognise finding an odd page filled in in the middle of a range of blank ones, entries in the back, doodles, and unrelated notes.

                          Good hunting!

                          Daveb

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 7 4:31 AM

                            Ok! OK! I stand corrected!

                            Thanks for al the replies. It is going to be fun going through all this. Who knows what gem awaits us?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 8 12:53 PM
                              Thank you very much. This worked. I haven't found anything I on my family yet, but I am happily hunting in St. Helena records now.

                              Terri Sager

                              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 8 12:55 PM
                                Hilary

                                Thank you for the tip. This worked.

                                Terri

                                To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                From: hab1958@...
                                Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:20:49 +0000

                                Hi

                                If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                                http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                                I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                                It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                                Happy Searching!
                                Hilary

                                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                > Same here.
                                > Terri Sager
                                >
                                > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: amclenn1@...
                                > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                > to how to use it.
                                >
                                > Adele McLennan

                              • John Coyle
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 8 3:39 PM

                                  Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

                                  Regards

                                  John Coyle

                                  President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

                                  Web: www.shatps.org

                                  If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                                  http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                                  I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                                  It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                                  Happy Searching!
                                  Hilary

                                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                  > Same here.
                                  > Terri Sager
                                  >
                                  > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: amclenn1@...
                                  > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                  > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                  > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                  > to how to use it.
                                  >
                                  > Adele McLennan

                                • Dave Beakhust
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 9 6:06 AM
                                    I would like to offer two speculative thoughts on the use of jpeg vs any other format.
                                    It seems unlikely that the format used to record the original images is jpg. I would like to guess the originals are TIFF or (proprietary) "Camera RAW".  If the original images are only held as JPG that is indeed regrettable as it involves lossy compression.  I suspect that for publication on the web an expedient was sought that kept the file sizes manageable. Perhaps the BL can publish in another format if good reasons can be shown?
                                    Secondly, many or most of these records being handwritten, automating any aspect of transcribing or indexing looks like a tall order. The indexing and abstraction from 18th and 19th cent newspapers produces occasional misleading results because of imperfect OCR. I do notice that newspapers online do seem to produce PDFs, though.

                                    Dave b

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On 8 Apr 2013, at 23:39, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...> wrote:

                                    Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project.  This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to  browse backwards and forwards.  Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research.  It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

                                    Regards

                                    John Coyle

                                    President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

                                    Web: www.shatps.org

                                    If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                                    http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                                    I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                                    It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                                    Happy Searching!
                                    Hilary

                                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                    > Same here.
                                    > Terri Sager
                                    >
                                    > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: amclenn1@...
                                    > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                    > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                    > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                    > to how to use it.
                                    >
                                    > Adele McLennan

                                  • Lara
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 9 1:58 PM
                                      Wow! There is a gold mine of information here. Thank you so much for sharing this info. I wish I were better at reading writing from the 1600s. It is gorgeous but hard to read. The writing from the 1840s is completely different. Not pretty and even harder to read. As others have written there is a huge amount to read through. This is what historians spend years doing. I am so happy that this is on the web and that we have access to primary sources.

                                      Since this is so much information, it would be helpful, if those of us that are reading through this info could share what you have found out with the group. If you transcribe any of the documents, please share it with the group. I think this would be very helpful. This way we could attack this research as a group rather than alone.

                                      Also, I would like to know if anyone knows the names of the original planters on St. Helena? After doing research, I have found out that I am not related to just one person on St. Helena but several. I am related to all of these people below. I assume they were original planters or the sons and daughters of original planters.

                                      Benjamin Seale and wife Mary Doughtey
                                      Jonathan Higham and wife Priscilla
                                      Thomas Gargen and wife Susannah Gurling (Susannah was the daughter of
                                      Richard Gurling)
                                      Francis Funge
                                      Richard Alexander and wife
                                      William French and wife Mary Box
                                      Matthew Bazett
                                      John Worral, Sr. and wife Sarah

                                      I wonder if anyone has ever done research on the original platers and who they married.

                                      Thank you.

                                      I hope everyone is well and enjoying Spring or Fall.

                                      Lara
                                    • Sandra Roberts
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 9 2:08 PM
                                        thanks for the link Terry
                                        it works yah :)

                                        If you copy and paste the following into your browser, it will take you to a list of records that are available for St Helena:-

                                        http://eap.bl.uk/database/results.a4d?projID=EAP524

                                        I tried the Marriage Banns 1849 to 1924 at the bottom of the above page and found numerous familiar surnames but to find them you have to go through each individual page (also be aware that because of the way that the record books were completed, there are numerous pages that don't show the year of the entry).

                                        It's wonderful that these records are being preserved and that they are able to be seen from another country.

                                        Happy Searching!
                                        Hilary

                                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                        > Same here.
                                        > Terri Sager
                                        >
                                        > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                        > From: amclenn1@...
                                        > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                        > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                        > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                        > to how to use it.
                                        >
                                        > Adele McLennan

                                      • John Coyle

                                          Web: www.shatps.org <http://www.shatps.org>

                                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Terri Sager <nplcat1@...> wrote:

                                          > Same here.
                                          > Terri Sager
                                          >
                                          > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > From: amclenn1@...
                                          > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:45:23 -0400
                                          > Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

                                          > I'm with Linda - I was a bit confused as
                                          > to how to use it.
                                          >
                                          > Adele McLennan

                                        • David Beakhust
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 13 10:08 AM
                                            A further thought came to mind.
                                            At present, the data may be accessed free of charge. If pay per view
                                            access were to be introduced, then pdf (ie multipage) views would not
                                            offer a good revenue model. Another issue is server loading.
                                            I do appreciate your point, though.
                                            For now I am delighted that any access is available, and will cheer on
                                            efforts to continue the project.

                                            Dave