RE: Edward William Alexander

  • Roger Knights
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi Clive,

      Glad that added to something:).  My line is the MOSS family. My mother was a niece of Rose ALEXANDER  (nee MOSS). I am away on holiday, so don't have access to my papers, but will see what I can do to find anything about any descendants of Edward and Rose.
      Thanks for prompt reply.

      Cheers,
      Roger

      From: clivealex@...
      To: nzdanenz@...
      Subject: Edward William Alexander
      Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:22:12 +0200

      Hi Roger,

      Thanks for your email.

      Of relevance indeed! You have filled a hole that I had overlooked. I had wondered who the descendants of John Alexander (1752? – 1818) and his wife Mary Young were. They were the parents of George William. George and Jane Curo went on the have seven children, including Dr Edward William.

      Pity that we have no more on his descendants.

      Can’t you trace your own family back to her?

      Edward William was on hell of a guy. Another one to put into my Alexander Hall of fame.

      Alongside John Alexander (1671-1737) son of Richard, who was the first Alexander to settle on the island. John was very prominent in Island life, being a large landowner and Clerk of the Council for many years.

      Frederick Augustus Alexander who was responsible for exhuming Napoleon’s body.

      Fraser Frederick Alexander who played a large part in setting up the gold mining industry on the Wiwatersrand.

      His cousin, another Frederick Augustus who played Springbok rugby in 1891.

      And so the list goes on.

      Once again,

      Thanks for the tip

      Cheers

      Clive

    • Andrew Moss
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
        Checking your address
        Dear Roger,

        Just checking that your PO Box address in Orewa is the same still – I have a details at work.

        I am going to send you copies of papers I brought back when in Rarotonga last year – they are on FJ Moss - who was British Resident there – letters he wrote to the Governor of NZ and a history book entitled ‘Years of the Pooh Bah’.

        I’ve only skimmed them so far - but very interesting from the bits I’ve read.

        Hope all is well,
        Andrew
      • Roger Knights
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
          Hi Andrew,

          That sounds great. I happen to have a copy of the book, but look forward to the rest. HAve changed address to

          21 Arran St
          Avondale
          Auckland 0600

          Hope all is well. I am in Sth Is now on a tour in our campervan. 2.4 degrees frost this morning. I recall you said there were some items in museum at Christchurch, but suspect they are in storage after the earthquake. Anywhere or anything else I could look for? Am going to Greymouth and will look up the Moss history there.

          Cheers,

          Roger

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
            Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Checking your address
            Dear Roger,

            Thanks for your new address details – will send something today.

            In terms of Moss findings around the South Is (and you will know most of this already):

            • ChCh museum – Wendy Moss said
            • Lyttleton – FJ Moss was a merchant there when arriving from St H
            • Dunedin Museum – FJ was a minister for finance I think in the Provincial Govt and very involved in funding of the Otago rail network – several Moss siblings lived there from St H from the 1860s – including GW
            • Greymouth – home to GW and GT – and others – there is a Moss St / Rd – and a Moss firm there was still going in the 1980s
            • Nelson – the willows on the Matai river are said to be from St H – as are those on the Avon

            For ChCh Wendy Moss in one of her emails said:

            I have a story written by my great great uncle fred in the 1930's about life on St helena and their houses.  In the story he says his paternal grandfather (I assume is Isaac) was the resident director of the Old East India Company.  Among papers he found was an old parchment signed by the Great Rabbi Herschell, authorising his grandfather to perform all the duties of a Rabbi at St Helena.  He handed this over to  the Museum at Christchurch NZ.  They had many Napoleonic relics at one time, an Venetian pickle bottle was given to the museum.

            For Greymouth – an email from the National Library said:

            Greymouth Burgess Roll 1874
            Moss George William Commission Agent House Chapel Street
            Moss George William Commission Agent Store Tainui Street

            1881 electoral roll
            Greymouth 1028 Moss George William Residential Greymouth Commission Agent

            Greymouth Burgess Roll 1888
            East Ward
            Moss George W Chapel Street
            Middle Ward
            Moss George W Tainui Street

            1893 electoral roll
            Grey electorate
            Entries for surname Moss
            Moss Edith May Grey teacher residential
            Moss George  William Grey auctioneer residential
            Moss George Thomas Grey clerk residential
            Moss May Elsie Grey lady residential
            Moss Susan Martha lady residential

            I think there is a GW jnr and snr.

            GW Moss was the first elected mayor of Greymouth.

            GW snr had two sons I think – Harry and George. Harry Walter Moss is my great grandfather.

            Last time I looked I was never certain how GT Moss was related.

            Perhaps you will find something more in your travels?

            Have a great trip and stay in touch.

            All the best,
            Andrew Moss