Mary Lions

  • alwynne benton
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6 12:39 AM
      Hi everyone
      My name is Ally.  According to the marriage certificate of my great grandfather his parents were a John Christopher Caton (possibly English, and a ships' engineer) and Mary Lions, who we believe is from St. Helena.  I am forwarding a copy of a photograph (including my great grandfather as a child) with the inscription on the back naming the photographer as W.O. Broadway of the St. Helena Photographic Saloon and is numbered 282.  The photograph would probably have been taken in the 1820-30s.
      I have been in touch with the Archivist on St. Helena, but thought some of you more experienced "Saints researchers" might have some ideas for me to follow up.  Thanks in advance for any replies.  AllyB.
    • jonathanparsons141@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
        Hi Ally,

        I am transcribing a journal written by my Great Great Grandfather who was a British ship's engineer while he visited St Helena in 1877. One sentence that had me confused was "Of course I visited the lions of the place Longwood House and the Tomb".
        An internet search to try and find out which lions he saw lead to your posting.
        It seems that Lions (not lions) was meant and I wondered if you had got any further with your investigations. In any event, this bit of info might be of interest to you.
        It is perhaps significant that John Christopher Caton (English and a ship's engineer) married a Lion whose family seem to be mentioned by my GGG, Frederick Wittaker (English and a ship's engineer).
        Anyway, it would be useful for me to have confirmation that it was indeed the Lions family that my GGG was visiting at the site of Napoleon's imprisonment.

        Thanks

        Jonathan Parsons

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "alwynne benton" <allyb@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        > My name is Ally. According to the marriage certificate of my great grandfather his parents were a John Christopher Caton (possibly English, and a ships' engineer) and Mary Lions, who we believe is from St. Helena. I am forwarding a copy of a photograph (including my great grandfather as a child) with the inscription on the back naming the photographer as W.O. Broadway of the St. Helena Photographic Saloon and is numbered 282. The photograph would probably have been taken in the 1820-30s.
        > I have been in touch with the Archivist on St. Helena, but thought some of you more experienced "Saints researchers" might have some ideas for me to follow up. Thanks in advance for any replies. AllyB.

      • Caroline Gaden
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
          Perhaps he just meant the places of importance viz Napoleon's former
          home and burial place.
          Caroline

          --
          Author of
          "Pounding Along to Singapore, a history of the 2/20 Battalion AIF",
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
            I hadn't thought of that. However he goes on to say how there was very little to see. "Much of the interest attaching to the former residence of the great Emperor which was erected in 1743 as a farm and was afterwards converted into a habitation for the lieutenant Governor, is quashed when one becomes acquainted with the fact that very little of the original house beyond the foundation remains." But, if it was a form of speech he might of used, it could still mean he meant to see the 'lions' as you suggest. It is most unlike him to make a mistake like using lower case when a capital is needed as he seems to have done.

            Thanks for your idea, the more I think about it the more I think you might be right. I shall look out for another instance which would prove the suggestion.

            Regards
            Jon

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
              Hello Jon
              The Briars, home of the Balcombe's (my lot) has been lost but the
              Pavilion is still there, the place Napoleon stayed when at The Briars.

              Longwood, his main place of residence, is still there and open to the
              public but has had to be rescued and restored as it was also in great
              need of repair, perhaps your relative saw it at its worst!
              Good luck with your research
              Caroline

              --
              Author of
              "Pounding Along to Singapore, a history of the 2/20 Battalion AIF",
              available from cagaden@...
              Facebook page
              <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pounding-Along-to-Singapore-a-history-of-220th-Battalion-AIF/344892488956481>
              "From Baron to Battler, the story of Dr CUD Schrader of Walcha,
              1860-1900" available from <www.smashwords.com/books/view/129058>
              "The Schrader Letters, 1871-1896" available from
              <www.smashword.com/books/view/109893>
            • Mary King
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
                Good luck, regards Mary.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
                  Hi Jon

                  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/10915010

                  Have a look at this... a lion gets a mention but it may not be what you
                  are expecting!!
                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
                    Ah, that's another possibility (I found http://www.bweaver.nom.sh/grant/grant.htm when I followed your advise).

                    As the report is only 6 years after my GGG was there I will go through it properly when I have finished transcribing and see how the two descriptions compare.

                    Thanks
                    Jon

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Mary King <mary25656@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Jonathan, don't know if this may have any connection to what your relative was talking about, but I have seen reference on the net before to a hill on St.Helena that is shaped like a crouching lion, not sure if it is located anywhere near Longwood though, just a thought, google lion shaped hill on St.Helena and see what comes back.
                    > Good luck, regards Mary.
                    >

                    > >________________________________

                  • John Coyle
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013

                      I lived on St. Helena from early 1967 to mid-1969, and cannot recall any rock formation which was formally or colloquially known as a lion!  However, there are several headlands which, when viewed from a particular angle, may be a little like a crouching lion.  Both Munden’s Point and Ladder Hill can look a little like a crouching animal from certain viewpoints. The most likely candidate, in my view, is probably Great Stone Top, and I’ve uploaded two images of it for comparison.

                      This one I took from Silver Hill in 1968:

                      http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../STH_A_03_61.jpg

                      and this is a found panorama: look at the formation on the left of the image, which shows that Great Stone Top and The Barn may indeed look a little lion-like from such a distance:

                      http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../panorama.jpg

                      Great Stone Top is, from memory, just visible from Longwood.

                      HTH

                      John Coyle