RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

  • Roger Knights
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hello,

      May or may not be of relevance:
      George William ALEXANDER and Jane CURO had a son:-
      Edward William ALEXANDER: b 25.5.1829 on St Helena, and became (I think) the surgeon-general of St Helena. He married Rose Adelaide MOSS (daughter of Isaac MOSS) on 4.12.1858 in St Helena.  Rose's d.o.b. is not certain.
      I think they arrived in New Zealand 1863. He had a successful medical career, and died 23.5.1907 in Dunedin NZ. Rose died 12.12.1916 in NZ. I haven't been able to untangle the local archives, but it appears they had a son.
      A good source of information might be the KRISTE family of Tunbridge Wells.

      Let me know if this has any links to the ALEXANDER family in question. (My connection is that Rose MOSS was my great aunt).

      Roger KNIGHTS
      Auckland
      New Zealand

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: clivealex@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:16:32 +0200
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

      Hello Hilary,

      Glad to meet another Alexander searcher. Are you an Alexander yourself?

      I cannot at this stage find a James Alexander at all on our tree. That is not to say he is not there, I just haven’t come across him yet. Do you have any other names? Parents, siblings, children? This always helps.

      Paul, if you are reading this, do you have any info?

      Cheers

      Clive

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
        Hello, Searching through my Moss family connections I found the following which might be useful:

        Dr. Edward Henry Alexander - d. 28 Oct 1916 - buried Dunedin NZ
        Dr. Edward William Alexander Jnr - d. 23 May 1907 - Dunedin NZ - aged 28
        Dr. Edward William Alexander Snr - d. 1907 - birth unknown
        Emily Agnes Alexander - d. 5 Oct 1912
        Rose Adelaide Alexander (nee Moss - wife of EW Alexander Snr)- d. 12 Dec 1915/or 1916

        As above - it seems EW Alexander Snr and Jnr died in the same year - 1907.

        I will send attachments by separate email.

        Hope this helps,

        Andrew Moss
        Sydney