RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

  • Roger Knights
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hello,

      May or may not be of relevance:
      George William ALEXANDER and Jane CURO had a son:-
      Edward William ALEXANDER: b 25.5.1829 on St Helena, and became (I think) the surgeon-general of St Helena. He married Rose Adelaide MOSS (daughter of Isaac MOSS) on 4.12.1858 in St Helena.  Rose's d.o.b. is not certain.
      I think they arrived in New Zealand 1863. He had a successful medical career, and died 23.5.1907 in Dunedin NZ. Rose died 12.12.1916 in NZ. I haven't been able to untangle the local archives, but it appears they had a son.
      A good source of information might be the KRISTE family of Tunbridge Wells.

      Let me know if this has any links to the ALEXANDER family in question. (My connection is that Rose MOSS was my great aunt).

      Roger KNIGHTS
      Auckland
      New Zealand

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: clivealex@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:16:32 +0200
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

      Hello Hilary,

      Glad to meet another Alexander searcher. Are you an Alexander yourself?

      I cannot at this stage find a James Alexander at all on our tree. That is not to say he is not there, I just haven’t come across him yet. Do you have any other names? Parents, siblings, children? This always helps.

      Paul, if you are reading this, do you have any info?

      Cheers

      Clive

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2013
        Hello, Searching through my Moss family connections I found the following which might be useful:

        Dr. Edward Henry Alexander - d. 28 Oct 1916 - buried Dunedin NZ
        Dr. Edward William Alexander Jnr - d. 23 May 1907 - Dunedin NZ - aged 28
        Dr. Edward William Alexander Snr - d. 1907 - birth unknown
        Emily Agnes Alexander - d. 5 Oct 1912
        Rose Adelaide Alexander (nee Moss - wife of EW Alexander Snr)- d. 12 Dec 1915/or 1916

        As above - it seems EW Alexander Snr and Jnr died in the same year - 1907.

        I will send attachments by separate email.

        Hope this helps,

        Andrew Moss
        Sydney

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Roger Knights <nzdanenz@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > May or may not be of relevance:George William ALEXANDER and Jane CURO had a son:-Edward William ALEXANDER: b 25.5.1829 on St Helena, and became (I think) the surgeon-general of St Helena. He married Rose Adelaide MOSS (daughter of Isaac MOSS) on 4.12.1858 in St Helena. Rose's d.o.b. is not certain. I think they arrived in New Zealand 1863. He had a successful medical career, and died 23.5.1907 in Dunedin NZ. Rose died 12.12.1916 in NZ. I haven't been able to untangle the local archives, but it appears they had a son.A good source of information might be the KRISTE family of Tunbridge Wells.
        > Let me know if this has any links to the ALEXANDER family in question. (My connection is that Rose MOSS was my great aunt).
        > Roger KNIGHTSAucklandNew Zealand
        >
        > To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        > From: clivealex@...
        > Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:16:32 +0200
        > Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

        > Hello Hilary,
        >
        > Glad to meet another Alexander searcher.
        > Are you an Alexander yourself?
        >
        > I cannot at this stage find a James
        > Alexander at all on our tree. That is not to say he is not there, I just haven't
        > come across him yet. Do you have any other names? Parents, siblings, children? This
        > always helps.
        >
        > Paul, if you are reading this, do you have
        > any info?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Clive

      • Ann Gates
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13
          Good day,
          My late paternal grandmother was Kate Ruth Willy nee Powell.  I have no information on her except dob 18/08/1886 South Africa and dod 18/07/1937 South Africa.
          From the awesome researchers on the South African Genealogy facebook website I have gleaned the following:

          Father - William Henry Powell born 1844.  Left St. Helena for Natal South Africa in 1874.  He was a soda water manufacturer.  Died in Pietermaritzburg Kwa Zulu Natal and buried 08/06/1900 St. Saviours Pietermaritzburg.
          Mother - Sarah Alice Powell  born 1847 and died 1889.  She accompanied William Henry Powell to Natal with 3 children:
          Jemima Alice Powell age 8
          Albert age 5
          Ernest age 3

          I have found baptism records St, Saviours Pietermaritzburg KZN on the Family Search website for:
          Ann Dorothy Powell dob 09/03/1878
          Thomas Matthew dob 22/03/1881
          Sarah Jane Powell dob 15/09/1882
          Herbert George dob 06/11/1884
          Kate Ruth dob 18/06/1886

          Having this documentation to hand I still have no idea who they were!  Were William Henry and Sarah Alice born on St. Helena?  What did they do, where did they live, why did they leave St. Helena etc.  Any assistance you could give me, no matter how small would be fantastic.  My father never spoke of his family and Kate Ruth would never have her photo taken so there is nothing to go on.  I have been to her grave in Stellawood cemetery Durban KZN where there is a Willy family grave and headstone.

          Thank you,
          Kind regards,
          Ann Gates (nee Willy)