Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Powell family

  • hysperella
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29 5:56 AM
      Hello Clive,

      I too are researching the Alexander family on St.Helena, although the name i am researching is James Hammond Alexander who married Johannah ? around 1815 on the island, i believe that my ancestor jumped ship to marry an american lady, not sure if these two families are related.

      Best wishes,

      Hilary,
      Dorset uk
      In a message dated 29/03/2013 12:16:09 GMT Standard Time, clivealex@... writes:

      Greetings.
      I am researching the Alexander family from St Helena. One of our ancestors, Sarah Alexander, daughter of John Alexander and Mary Maxwell, married James Powell on 30 April 1734 on the Island. They had eight children, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth, Josiah Clark, Joshua, John Goodwin and Margaret.
      James Powell also had an illegitimate child with Mary Alexander, Sarah's sister. He was named James Powell.
      I am looking for further information on these children. Websites I have accessed only deal with American families. It is, of course, possible that some of them did emigrate to the USA.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Clive Stanbridge Alexander
      Somerset West
      South Africa.

    • Clive Alexander
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29 7:16 AM

        Hello Hilary,

        Glad to meet another Alexander searcher. Are you an Alexander yourself?

        I cannot at this stage find a James Alexander at all on our tree. That is not to say he is not there, I just haven’t come across him yet. Do you have any other names? Parents, siblings, children? This always helps.

        Paul, if you are reading this, do you have any info?

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2013
          Hello,

          May or may not be of relevance:
          George William ALEXANDER and Jane CURO had a son:-
          Edward William ALEXANDER: b 25.5.1829 on St Helena, and became (I think) the surgeon-general of St Helena. He married Rose Adelaide MOSS (daughter of Isaac MOSS) on 4.12.1858 in St Helena.  Rose's d.o.b. is not certain.
          I think they arrived in New Zealand 1863. He had a successful medical career, and died 23.5.1907 in Dunedin NZ. Rose died 12.12.1916 in NZ. I haven't been able to untangle the local archives, but it appears they had a son.
          A good source of information might be the KRISTE family of Tunbridge Wells.

          Let me know if this has any links to the ALEXANDER family in question. (My connection is that Rose MOSS was my great aunt).

          Roger KNIGHTS
          Auckland
          New Zealand

          To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
            Hello, Searching through my Moss family connections I found the following which might be useful:

            Dr. Edward Henry Alexander - d. 28 Oct 1916 - buried Dunedin NZ
            Dr. Edward William Alexander Jnr - d. 23 May 1907 - Dunedin NZ - aged 28
            Dr. Edward William Alexander Snr - d. 1907 - birth unknown
            Emily Agnes Alexander - d. 5 Oct 1912
            Rose Adelaide Alexander (nee Moss - wife of EW Alexander Snr)- d. 12 Dec 1915/or 1916

            As above - it seems EW Alexander Snr and Jnr died in the same year - 1907.

            I will send attachments by separate email.

            Hope this helps,

            Andrew Moss
            Sydney