Bellord, Benjamin and John Families - St Helena

  • hilarybellord
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2013
      I am a new member living in the UK with a keen interest in genealogy. I have been researching my late mother's side in England, UK but I would so love to find out more about my St Helenian roots.

      My late father Cedric BELLORD was born in Sandy Bay, St Helena in 1933. His father (my grandfather) was Stanley Dixon BELLORD born in Durban, South Africa in 1912 and passed away in St Helena in 1975. My grandmother was Nora BENJAMIN from St Helena born 1910 and died 1992. According to my grandmother's birth certificate, my great grandparents were William BENJAMIN and Susan JOHN and that is all I know.

      If anyone has any information about any of the above families, or indeed where I could find any records online I would love to hear from you! I have tried familysearch.org but it is not the easiest of websites to use and I haven't been able to find anything.

      Thank you so much
      Hilary Bellord
    • arthur gorton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2013
        I sailed to Cape Town on the RMS in 1993 and met a Mr Trevor Benjamin who lived with his wife and family in Jamestown, unfortunately I do not have any further details. But there should be at least one family for you to contact. Best wishes for your search.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 2:08 PM
          Hi Arthur

          Thank you so much for replying to my enquiry about the Benjamin and Bellord family. I believe that there are numerous Benjamin's still living in St Helena and my elderly aunt is there too but finding someone with access to birth, marriage and death records is proving difficult. However, I have just read about the pilot digitisation project of St Helena records by the British Library which could prove very helpful if a search facility is available.

          Very best wishes
          Hilary Bellord