Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Charles Grant

  • Viv Chandler
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
    Hello Yvonne and Roger:

    Unfortunately I only received Yvonne's reply to you and not your original posting, Roger.  This has confirmed the feeling I have had that I don't receive all the messages that come from the group.  I see answers and I am pretty sure I have never seen the original and this has proved my suspicions.

    My husband is descended from the Stroud family who married into the Grants and over the years I have done quite a bit of research.  Unfortunately, due to family circumstances I am unable to do research at the moment.  However, when I read your messages I felt sure I had something in my records that gave the background to why the Grants went to St Helena.  I don't know where I got this from but I have a copy of Benjamin Grant's obituary (who was the father of Louisa Palmer G) taken from the Parish Magazine in 1926.  I attach a copy.

    Benjamin's father was Charles Grant born Winchester in 1806.  Can you imagine leaving one of your children behind on an isolated island knowing you would never see him again?  It just proves how different life was then.

    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Vivien

    Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
      Hello Vivien
      You probably do get the emails but they end up in your inbox way earlier
      than you are looking... I have this problem too... my inbox says I have
      2 or 3 unread messages but they are high up the list and off the
      screen... I think this is because the list is moderated and the emails
      are 'held up' until the moderator approves them but they are listed on
      your screen with the time of original sending by the poster, not the
      time the moderator sends them on.
      Cheers
      Caroline