HEIC Addiscombe Military Seminary

  • Dennis and Jenny
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9 11:27 PM

      I understand that HEIC cadets were trained by the Company at the Addiscombe Military Seminary.  Col. H M Vibart's book [Addiscombe, its heroes and men of note, 1894, at archive. org] purports to include a list of students and yet my ancestor from St Helena, George Whalley Melliss, is not there.  It is a long way from St Helena to Croydon - perhaps he didn't get there?  But for someone who later became Superintendent of Public Works on the Island he would have received training somewhere.

      Can any lister offer an explanation based on their experience?  I do have a reference to his Cadet papers at TNA so that will have to be my next search but London is a long way from Nelson, NZ!

      Thanks

      Dennis Bush-King