British Garrison Guarding Napoleon

  • wmck46
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hello all; I am new to the group. My ancestor Nathaniel Bate was a member of the 66th. Regiment of Foot, and a member of the British Garrison guarding Napoleon on St. Helena. I have been unable to actually find any muster rolls or lists that would include his name on St. Helena. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on a good place to research this? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • Ed Storey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
        to learn about British guarding Napoleon,  I would start with books written about Napoleon on St Helena, because it is an easy place to look.  On Google Books for example, there is a book by E. L. Jackson.  It was written about 1850 and talks about Napoleon.  It does not list every soldier, of course, but there are some mentioned.  Mostly, it will provide an understanding of what it was like.  There are other books as well.  this is just an example.  Look in WorldCat for more books.

        If you are looking for an officer, they would be listed in Hart's Annual Army List, also available online.

        Ed Storey