Does anybody have any information please

  • watsontillie
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
      Hi all. My father, who has just passed away, was born on St Helena in 1921. His birth certificate gives his mother, my grandmother, to be Caroline Maggott and his father, my grandfather, as William Clingham (a coachman). I was wondering if anybody in the group knew anything more about my grandparents and would be able to give me any further information about them? Thank you.
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
        I also have some Clingham ancestors (note the spelling had various versions (Clingan, Clingen etc) but Clingham is probably right.

        Hi There,

        I have Clingham ancestors. This was at an earlier date that yours.
        There are still Clinghams on Saint Helena so it is highly likely that
        they are offspring of the one, original Clingham family.

        There was a census done on Saint Helena in 1814 and there were no
        Clinghams mentioned in it so the original family or ancestor must
        have moved to Saint Helena between 1814 and 1856. The details I have
        are these:

        1) HENRY DEVLIN / MINOR / BACHELOR / PRIVATE ST H REG / JAMESTOWN

        married on 2.8.1856 TO

        CATHARINE CLINGHAM / MINOR / SPINISTER / JAMESTOWN

        2) Catherine Clingham was the daughter of William Clingham and
        Elizabeth Reid or Ridge. She was born on Saint Helena in 1833. She died in Glasgow on 12 April 1912.

        I have traced this branch of the Clinghams through to the modern day
        in Scotland. Their offspring have married around Glasgow and their
        descendants are now here and in Australia.

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "watsontillie" wrote:

        > Hi all. My father, who has just passed away, was born on St Helena in 1921. His birth certificate gives his mother, my grandmother, to be Caroline Maggott and his father, my grandfather, as William Clingham (a coachman). I was wondering if anybody in the group knew anything more about my grandparents and would be able to give me any further information about them? Thank you.

      • Leonard Meek
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
          I don't know if this will help, but my G-G-G-Grandfather was Benjamin
          Maggott (later Magnett) born before 1800 and still living on the island in
          1850. There were sons, Benjamin Jr. and Charles (posibly more). My ancestor,
          Charles came here to Hawaii and Benjamin Jr. settled in New Bedford, Mass.
          Another branch of the Maggotts settled in South Africa. Apparently the name
          morphed into other forms, ie, Magnett, Maggett, Mackett, and even Margate.
          The original Benjamin Maggott and his wife, Margaret James were slaves of
          the East India Company. They were apparently skilled laborers rather than
          domestics. Documentation is sketchy at best.

          Leonard

          > Hi all. My father, who has just passed away, was born on St Helena in
          > 1921. His birth certificate gives his mother, my grandmother, to be
          > Caroline Maggott and his father, my grandfather, as William Clingham (a
          > coachman). I was wondering if anybody in the group knew anything more
          > about my grandparents and would be able to give me any further information
          > about them? Thank you.

        • watsontillie
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
            Oh that's lovely, thanks. So my grandfather William Clingham was probably descended from a brother of your Catherine; and maybe the name William was passed down too as my dad's middle name was William, as was his father, as was Catherine's father. Thank you for your speedy reply.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
              Hi Leonard.
              It's an unusual name so I would say my grandmother Caroline must be a descendant of Benjamin. As Caroline was on St Helena when my father was born (in 1921,) I would think Benjamin must have had another son who stayed on the island. Thank you for your help.

              So a reply from Frank tells me that my grandfather William Clingham (circa 1921) is most probably descended from another William Clingham (circa 1833), and Leonard tells me that Caroline Maggott (circa 1921) is most probably a descendant of Benjamin Maggott (circa 1825). Thank you both so much, this is an excellent start for me.

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard Meek" wrote:

              > I don't know if this will help, but my G-G-G-Grandfather was Benjamin
              > Maggott (later Magnett) born before 1800 and still living on the island in
              > 1850. There were sons, Benjamin Jr. and Charles (posibly more). My ancestor,
              > Charles came here to Hawaii and Benjamin Jr. settled in New Bedford, Mass.
              > Another branch of the Maggotts settled in South Africa. Apparently the name
              > morphed into other forms, ie, Magnett, Maggett, Mackett, and even Margate.
              > The original Benjamin Maggott and his wife, Margaret James were slaves of
              > the East India Company. They were apparently skilled laborers rather than
              > domestics. Documentation is sketchy at best.
              >
              > Leonard

            • Frank F. Craig
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
                Yes, could well be. There are also some earlier slave roots potentially involved too.
                Sent using BlackBerry®

                From: "watsontillie" <watsontillie@...>
                Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:09:07 -0000