Understanding abbreviations.

  • David Beakhust
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 3:28 PM
      More than one person (man) connected or probably connected with my
      family are described in various places with the Term "Art.", usually
      following the name. It seems always to have the full stop so is
      presumably an abbreviation.

      Can I assume this means "Artillery"? The records in question are a
      burial, marriage and such like, so not explicitly military. I found an
      online list of EIC abbreviations, and "Art." was not among them.
      I see the virtual library has "whos who" from the Napoleon period, and
      "St Helena Artillery" gets a mention. Of course only high ranking
      officers get a mention, and in common with most people, I am descended
      from humbler stock!

      Dave Beakhust