RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave names

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 13, 2013

      Leonard, I have not seen or heard of any separate list. Although the bulk of the slaves were emancipated between 1832-1836, slaves were being emancipated all the time. There were 890 slaves in 1827 but by 1832, the numbers had dropped to around 600. Some of course will have died in the meantime but  most will have come to some private arrangement with their owners and would not have needed a Company loan to purchase their freedom. It is not clear in the records but I am sure that many owners would have given their slaves their freedom. It seems that by this time it was an embarrassment for some owners to even have to admit they owned slaves – such was the growing revulsion against slavery.

      All the governors at this time – particularly Lowe and Walker – and the Directors in London were very much for abolition and it would not surprise me to hear that they took all necessary steps to rid the Company of slaves although I haven’t seen anything in the records to say this. The records do show that there were 99 Company slaves in 1818 but only 65 in 1821 so something along these lines was happening. However, you have aroused my interest as I feel there ought to be something in the record about this.

      Hope this helps a little!

      Colin

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 14, 2013

        If you join the Friends ( see bottom of  this series of letters) you will be given a password which will allow you see all the ‘members only’ pages.

        Colin

        How do I get to view the document?  Thank you.

[...]

        From my limited research on St Helena at that time it seems it was "normal" to have slaves, but I also think that they were better treated than at most other countries/locations and we should consider them more as servants, albeit with less free income and rights. I have many other lines traced in England and domestic service features strongly, especially in London. From what I can see they would have been better off in St Helena!