Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave names

  • Shaun Paulsen,
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi guys

      I also need help with "slave" name Tobias. They came to South Africa as free men, apparently slaves were set free then and people had the option to leave or stay. They left the island.

      Kind regards

      Shaun
      Sent from my iPad

      On 12 Jan 2013, at 9:51 AM, <su.monkey@...> wrote:

      Hi Nancy-Jo
      I also have the surname George in my ancestry, the records I found via the National Archives have them listed as “free” so I am presuming they were once slaves.
      I wonder if it is the same family...

      Su

      Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 7:23 PM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave names

      Hello Nancy Jo
      There is a book called The Chinese Connection by Barbara B George from
      St Helena.... I'll contact her and see if she is happy for me to give
      her email address to the list
      Suggest you contact her for a copy
      Also read the St Helena Chronicles of 1853... not sure where you find
      them but Google should help
      Cheers
      Caroline

    • donnelson723
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 4, 2014
        Hi Kevin.  I have been looking for information on my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Clark who was born on St Helena in Jan 1813 and baptized in St James Church in Mar 1813,  I have been unable to find any information on his parents;  His record of his baptism should show their names.  I do not know where to get the information on St James and noticed that you have information St James records.  Would you possibly have a web site or other information which I could research the information?

        Thank You
        Don Nelson
        Arizona  USA