RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave names

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 11, 2013

      Nancy-Jo

      I little while back I transcribed a valuation list of slaves on St Helena that was made in 1827 prior to the emancipation that took place a few years later. There are 43 slaves listed with surname ‘George’. One of my reasons for doing this was to encourage interested persons to join the Friends of St Helena, a charity set up to support disseminate information about the island’s heritage. Subscription to the Society is a modest amount and apart from being sent a copy of our Journal, and 2 newsletters (St Helena Connection) you get on-line access to my transcription and all back issues of both Journal and newsletter plus recordings of talks given to the society at the meetings held twice a year on different aspects of St Helena history, geology, fauna and flora etc and a lot more information.

      For more info see our web pages at http://sthelena.uk.net/index.php?id=1&StHelena=1

      Best wishes

      Colin

      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 4, 2014
        Hi Kevin.  I have been looking for information on my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Clark who was born on St Helena in Jan 1813 and baptized in St James Church in Mar 1813,  I have been unable to find any information on his parents;  His record of his baptism should show their names.  I do not know where to get the information on St James and noticed that you have information St James records.  Would you possibly have a web site or other information which I could research the information?

        Thank You
        Don Nelson
        Arizona  USA