Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] documents

  • Cheryl Perreault
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
      Glynnis you are correct, I tried the link from your email and it takes me to Rhodes University (the document is in their database), in the search engine top right type in DiariesCat,pdf

      4 links will come up, choose the third one that ends in documents
      another list will come up - look for Diaries Cat

      hope this helps if not email me back
      cheryl

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hi Caroline,
        I'm a novice, does this mean that the document is no good?  I just thought with all the dates, names etc.
        Thanks
        Cheryl

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
          The link worked for me but unfortunately there wasn't anything pertinent to
          my geneology. My ancestors were slaves of the East India Co. and there seems
          to be very little info on them.

          Leonard

          >I found the link didn't work either but I went onto the Rhodes uni site
          > https://www.ru.ac.za then linked on the libraries/cory library and
          > finally got to this site
          >
          > https://www.ru.ac.za/media/rhodesuniversity/content/corylibrary/documents/ArchivesOCR.pdf
          >
          > With it on display I then removed the last section on archives and
          > replaced it with DiariesCat and it did come up.
          > It is a long list of diaries in the library, scroll to the end pages for
          > the full index, but it is not the dairies themselves, looks as if you
          > have to actually visit Cory.
          > All the best
          > Caroline

        • Alison
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
            The link worked for me. Very interesting to read through. Bound to be helpful to some people!
            Alison

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Glynnis Jackson wrote:

            > HiCheryl
            > thanks - the link didnt work, although I copied pasted several times - can you send a breakdown of how you arrived at the document?
            > Thanks
            > Glynnis
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Nancy-Jo Nunez
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
              Is this the link?  If so what do I search on?

              --- In mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com, Glynnis Jackson wrote:

              > HiCheryl
              > thanks - the link didnt work, although I copied pasted several times - can you send a breakdown of how you arrived at the document?
              > Thanks
              > Glynnis
              >

              > ________________________________

            • John Dady
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                If the link does not take you directly to the subject but just to the Rhodes University home page, try clicking through to "Cory Library" then from the drop-down menus "Online - Primary Sources - Diaries". Near the very bottom of the Diaries page see "Diaries catalogue, Cory Library (8MB)". Right  click "Open in new Tab".

                Hope this helps.

                On 14 January 2013 19:44, Nancy-Jo Nunez <njnunez@...> wrote:

                Is this the link?  If so what do I search on?

                The link worked for me. Very interesting to read through. Bound to be helpful to some people!
                Alison

                --- In mailto:st-helena-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com, Glynnis Jackson wrote:

                > HiCheryl
                > thanks - the link didnt work, although I copied pasted several times - can you send a breakdown of how you arrived at the document?
                > Thanks
                > Glynnis
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Ed Storey
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 15, 2013
                  I followed the directions John Dady sent.  I got to the Cory library just fine.  In the online card catalog, I entered "St Helena".  There were a couple dozen documents listed.  Although they are not available online, they might be available thru Google Books, some library closer to home or via interlibrary loan.  At the very least, they are worth a perusal.

                  ECS
                • Barbara Rochoy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 16, 2013

                    Hi,