Re: Cooley, Hopkins, Hercules Family

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
      Hi Linda,

      I'm not sure how far you got with your research – but here is some information I found whilst investigating my `Hopkins' family on St Helena.

      It's not too detailed, as the last time I was on St Helena it was only for a short holiday, so I only had time to look up the full records of a few relatives. I was only allowed to view the index books at the Archives and then had to view the full records on microfiche in the Public Library, which is a bit time consuming, so I only managed to view a few full records. I kept the record numbers (which is the page number in the actual Archive records) for the others. It's not much, but might be a place to start!

      I found a few records for Elizabeth Hopkins as follows:
      - `Baptisms records 1849-1862' (it doesn't say which parish this is from). Record/page number 1533.

      - There is another record for Elizabeth Hopkins ........ but she was born Elizabeth Benjamin and became Hopkins by marriage.
      Details from `Marriage records 1871-1882 - Baptist Chapel @ Knollcombes' (Record/page number 836):
      Marriage of William Hopkins and Elizabeth Benjamin.
      Date of marriage: 25 Dec 1871. William Hopkins is listed as 25, Bachelor, Occupation: Labourer. Elizabeth is listed as 28, Widow. By calculation, this would make her born in/around 1843, depending on when her birthday was. (I investigated this because I believe William Hopkins may be my gg-grandfather – but this is his first marriage and my gg-grandmother was his second wife, Catherine Elizabeth Hopkins (nee Moyce)).

      I found a marriage record for Charlotte A Hopkins and Ernest Thomas Hercules.
      The record number 1921 from the `Marriage records 1882-1943' – again that's all the details I have.

      I didn't research any Cooley's – although I did find a marriage between James Hopkins and a Mary Coley.
      The record number 271 from the `Marriage records 1852-1864' – again that's all the details I have – but this might be the Hopkins-Coley/Cooley connection linking your g-grandmother ..... although the spelling is different – so maybe not???

      Oh, and there is also a record for an Edith Mira Hopkins:
      Baptisms records 1862-1912 (doesn't say which parish). Record/page number 18.

      I have all of this and details of other 'Hopkins' family in a spreadsheet which I would be happy to share with you if you think there might be something else of interest. Let me know!

      Lisa Hopkins