Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Bagley of St Helena

  • Keith Venables
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hello Alison,
      I'm not very well informed on such matters, but I do believe it was usual for slaves to adopt their master's surname. Perhaps someone else in the forum can add something to this theory?

      From my limited research on St Helena at that time it seems it was "normal" to have slaves, but I also think that they were better treated than at most other countries/locations and we should consider them more as servants, albeit with less free income and rights. I have many other lines traced in England and domestic service features strongly, especially in London. From what I can see they would have been better off in St Helena!

      Keith

      On 6 Jan 2013, at 07:47, "Alison" <alisoncalderwood@...> wrote:

      Hi Keith,
      Thanks for your reply. I'd hate to think they had slaves, but I guess that is likely...I'm guessing you're suggesting the slaves took in the surnames of their 'owners'?
      Alison

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "keith" wrote:

      > My wife is descended from an Ann Bagley, b1791 St Helena, daughter of John Bagley.
      >
      > He was a slave, but by 1828 Ann was free when she married a Richard Phillips.
      >
      > I'm assuming our Bagleys were at some time slaves of your Bagleys!
      >
      > regards,
      > Keith
      >
      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alison" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > > I live in Australia. My gg grandfather was Thomas Gabriel Bagley who was apparently born on St Helena around the 1820's. His father was Richard Orlando Bagley we think.... We don't know how Thomas came to Australia, but he came around 1852, and was described as a mining engineer. He married 10 years later, and his children's names seem to reflect those of relatives or others on St Helena: William Orlando, Edward, George Carol, Jane Elizabeth, Thomas Gabriel Alexander ,Robert Otto, Mary Ann Amelia, Matilda Amada, Frederick Doveton.
      > >
      > > Would love to know if anyone has any further information on this family on St Helena, or even a comment to make about this information.
      > >
      > > thanks!
      > >
      > > Alison
      > > Australia

    • donnelson723
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 4, 2014
        Hi Kevin.  I have been looking for information on my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Clark who was born on St Helena in Jan 1813 and baptized in St James Church in Mar 1813,  I have been unable to find any information on his parents;  His record of his baptism should show their names.  I do not know where to get the information on St James and noticed that you have information St James records.  Would you possibly have a web site or other information which I could research the information?

        Thank You
        Don Nelson
        Arizona  USA