Re: Bagley of St Helena

  • Alison
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi Keith,
      Thanks for your reply. I'd hate to think they had slaves, but I guess that is likely...I'm guessing you're suggesting the slaves took in the surnames of their 'owners'?
      Alison

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "keith" wrote:

      > My wife is descended from an Ann Bagley, b1791 St Helena, daughter of John Bagley.
      >
      > He was a slave, but by 1828 Ann was free when she married a Richard Phillips.
      >
      > I'm assuming our Bagleys were at some time slaves of your Bagleys!
      >
      > regards,
      > Keith
      >
      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Alison" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > > I live in Australia. My gg grandfather was Thomas Gabriel Bagley who was apparently born on St Helena around the 1820's. His father was Richard Orlando Bagley we think.... We don't know how Thomas came to Australia, but he came around 1852, and was described as a mining engineer. He married 10 years later, and his children's names seem to reflect those of relatives or others on St Helena: William Orlando, Edward, George Carol, Jane Elizabeth, Thomas Gabriel Alexander ,Robert Otto, Mary Ann Amelia, Matilda Amada, Frederick Doveton.
      > >
      > > Would love to know if anyone has any further information on this family on St Helena, or even a comment to make about this information.
      > >
      > > thanks!
      > >
      > > Alison
      > > Australia

    • donnelson723
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 4, 2014
        Hi Kevin.  I have been looking for information on my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Clark who was born on St Helena in Jan 1813 and baptized in St James Church in Mar 1813,  I have been unable to find any information on his parents;  His record of his baptism should show their names.  I do not know where to get the information on St James and noticed that you have information St James records.  Would you possibly have a web site or other information which I could research the information?

        Thank You
        Don Nelson
        Arizona  USA