Julia Blackburn: 'The Essay, Napoleon and Me' - BBC Radio

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
      This will be of general interest (though I should say that did not like her book on the island).

      Regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg

      -------

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p2qpb

      Julia Blackburn
      The Essay, Napoleon and Me

      Duration: 15 minutes
      First broadcast: Monday 03 December 2012

      Julia Blackburn tells an extraordinary tale of sleuthing for the ghost of Napoleon on St Helena, his last island and his final unsought home.

      The first of five essays as part of BBC Radio 3's Napoleon Season, marking two hundred years since his historic retreat from Moscow.
      Julia had long wanted to write about Napoleon's final days. She set off for St Helena and Longwood House - the Emperor's last home prison - and tried to enlist the support of two official parties. She contacted the British Governor of the island and the French Consul who took responsibility for what became a tiny piece of France after the Emperor's death. Neither bothered to reply so Julia was forced to seek answers by exploring other paths back into the life of Napoleon's last days on St Helena. A lonely giant tortoise came to her rescue along with some other human inhabitants of the island - or Saints as they call themselves.

      Producer: Tim Dee.
    • Caroline Gaden
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
        Hello everyone
        Just listened to Julia Blackburn's lecture and I wish she had given a
        date of their visit as some things are different now. When we visited on
        RMS in 2010 there was no first class with separate dining room on the
        ship and the Consul's son was definitely not Gerard but Michel (and that
        is something she could easily have checked before doing the broadcast.)
        The Consul does not live at Longwood, there is a new place in the
        grounds of The Briars. Jonathon had two female companions and he was
        still going strong in 2010.
        All the best
        Caroline