RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Cooper/Watson

  • Roger Knights
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30 4:01 PM
      Hello Cheryl
      I notice a New Zealand connection. I am descended from the St Helena MOSS family, which has Dr Alexander on my tree... if any interest, get back to me or Andrew MOSS in Sydney Aust (Addy is opn this group)
      Roger KNIGHTS

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: hunnybugs69@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:58:14 -0800
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Cooper/Watson

      Hi Alice
      Thanks for the speedy reply, I am so inquisitive now as to what these ladies wanted to tell you!!! I remember always being told that children should be seen and not heard! Strange that Mrs Cooper would give you a photo of herself! mmmmmmm!! looking forward to seeing the pic. I always thought my grandfather was a sibling of two, I had met his sister Lilian when I was a little girl and only recently was contacted by a second cousin staying in NZ,I never knew exsisted, also through this site and found out that there were eight children, all born on the island, still trying to find out how they got to be on the island! This cousin had photos of my mom as a teenager and my aunt, my mom`s sister all the way in New Zealand. Her mom is still alive and she had married one of the cooper bothers.I just love all the mystery, was my grgrgrandfather in the british army? who knows, I have completed my paternal side of the tree , all from the uk, and strangely enough my grgrgrandfather James Whare had married a Jane Reagan also on St Helena Island! he was posted on the island serving in the Royal Artillery, this poor man was posted all over the world and finally retired in the cape, hence our exsistance in cape town!  ( still not sure how Jane got there) !
      Anyway, here I go again, my family thinks I am mad, I have been busy with this family tree for five years now, travelled to the UK five times and now finally complete with that side! Now its the coopers turn which is turning out harder than expected. I am hoping to fly to the island when the airport is complete and research, my gran and grandfather used to visit the island on the mail ship and always told stories about the stairs they would have to climb to get onto the island, eventually it got too much for them, bless their souls.
      Looking forward to the photo.
      enjoy your weekend
      Cheryl Gerber