Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Digest Number 69

  • lloydcheyne2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
      richaard
      my grandfather personally told me that his ancestors worked for
      napoleon bonaparte and yes they did intermarry the freed slaves as my
      grandfather was very dark and so is my father.

      l scott

      > Many thanks Mrs Dyson.My father actually posted the fruits of my
      > original research on to me-about which I had entirely
      > forgotten.Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott born in 1830 to Mary
      > Scott,a freed slave, and Mary Ann Walker in 1858. As far as I can
      > tell, they were freed slaves. I found a Charles Scott mentioned in
      > the 1814 census but also a James Scott as a servant to Napoleon
      > Bonaparte during his sojourn on the island. The question that
      arises
      > is as to from where exactly the slaves that populated the island
      > originated.I see that the Balcombe family had a Malay slave named
      > Toby which leads me to suspect that a lot of the slaves were of
      > Indonesian origin.Can anybody help out with this information.Jane
      > Sophia Bennett was the illegitimate daughter of a Martha Bennett
      > born in 1824-who was herself the daughter of Charles and Sarah
      > Bennett -also free slaves.How did these ex slaves get names such as
      > Scott and Bennett? Certainly, by the time my ancestors got to South
      > Africa,they were classified as being white. Were they all the
      > illegitimate offspring of slave owners or were they legitimate? Any
      > help would be greatly appreciated.
    • pmorgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
        Further to this, MY g.g.Grandfather claimed that his father was a native of St. Helena, although my g.g. was born in Wick, County Caithness Scotland.  No mention of his mother.  He was a very dark, slightly built man, and we always suspected he was Indian, however the Malay aspect could fit with his general appearance.  Also any light thrown on this mystery would be appreciated.
        Ally Morgan
        South Australia
        my grandfather personally told me that his ancestors worked for
        napoleon bonaparte and yes they did intermarry the freed slaves as my
        grandfather was very dark and so is my father.

        l scott

        > Many thanks Mrs Dyson.My father actually posted the fruits of my
        > original research on to me-about which I had entirely
        > forgotten.Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott born in 1830 to Mary
        > Scott,a freed slave, and Mary Ann Walker in 1858. As far as I can
        > tell, they were freed slaves. I found a Charles Scott mentioned in
        > the 1814 census but also a James Scott as a servant to Napoleon
        > Bonaparte during his sojourn on the island. The question that
        arises
        > is as to from where exactly the slaves that populated the island
        > originated.I see that the Balcombe family had a Malay slave named
        > Toby which leads me to suspect that a lot of the slaves were of
        > Indonesian origin.Can anybody help out with this information.Jane
        > Sophia Bennett was the illegitimate daughter of a Martha Bennett
        > born in 1824-who was herself the daughter of Charles and Sarah
        > Bennett -also free slaves.How did these ex slaves get names such as
        > Scott and Bennett? Certainly, by the time my ancestors got to South
        > Africa,they were classified as being white. Were they all the
        > illegitimate offspring of slave owners or were they legitimate? Any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.

        http://www.st-helena.org

      • LLOYD SCOTT
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2005
          HI ALLY

          DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE PERSONS MENTIONED? AS I KNOW WHAT THE ST HELENA'S LOOKED LIKE,THIS WILL ESTABLISH A RESEMBLANCE.

          LLOYD SCOTT
          SCOTLAND