Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Cooper/Watson

  • Alice Van Mierlo
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 37 KB
    Hi Cheryl

    I carry some Family History papers with me to work in my briefcase, just in case it gets quiet and I can work on it, and I have my St. Helena file folder her, and I have Mrs. Cooper picture.
    I have just scanned it and am enclosing it now.

    Alice

    Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
      Hi Alice
      Thanks for the speedy reply, I am so inquisitive now as to what these ladies wanted to tell you!!! I remember always being told that children should be seen and not heard! Strange that Mrs Cooper would give you a photo of herself! mmmmmmm!! looking forward to seeing the pic. I always thought my grandfather was a sibling of two, I had met his sister Lilian when I was a little girl and only recently was contacted by a second cousin staying in NZ,I never knew exsisted, also through this site and found out that there were eight children, all born on the island, still trying to find out how they got to be on the island! This cousin had photos of my mom as a teenager and my aunt, my mom`s sister all the way in New Zealand. Her mom is still alive and she had married one of the cooper bothers.I just love all the mystery, was my grgrgrandfather in the british army? who knows, I have completed my paternal side of the tree , all from the uk, and strangely enough my grgrgrandfather James Whare had married a Jane Reagan also on St Helena Island! he was posted on the island serving in the Royal Artillery, this poor man was posted all over the world and finally retired in the cape, hence our exsistance in cape town!  ( still not sure how Jane got there) !

      Anyway, here I go again, my family thinks I am mad, I have been busy with this family tree for five years now, travelled to the UK five times and now finally complete with that side! Now its the coopers turn which is turning out harder than expected. I am hoping to fly to the island when the airport is complete and research, my gran and grandfather used to visit the island on the mail ship and always told stories about the stairs they would have to climb to get onto the island, eventually it got too much for them, bless their souls.

      Looking forward to the photo.
      enjoy your weekend

      Cheryl Gerber

      Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
        Hello Cheryl and Alice. Just skimming through your recent emails as I'm a Cooper from NZ who also had relatives on the island. I'm currently travelling so don't have details of dates with me but the story my Dad has given me is that James Cooper was stationed on St Helena from England. While there he met and married a Sarah. They had a son named James on the island and a number more upon emigrating to New Zealand. I do have more names and dates for the children's births at home but have never been able to confirm details for Sarah or her line of the family.

        It'd be great if you're aware of any James Coopers marrying Sarah's on the island, or if you could connect me to the NZ Coopers.

        Thanks and good luck!

        Scott Cooper

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
          Hi Alice
          Cannot seem to open attachment through this site, please send to : hunnybugs69@...

          thanks
          Cheryl

          Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
            Hi Alice
            managed to open the file, not too sure as this lady is very young in the photo, I only remember my gran as an old lady, I have forwarded the photo to my brother and he will let me know as he is ten years older than me

            Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
              Hi Alice
              My brother does not seem to think that this is our gran, she could be the wife of one of the brothers, there were four brothers, unfortunately as I said, still trying to trace most of the siblings. I am quite disappointed now, this does give me hope though ,as now I know that there are people actually following the saint site! P.S. My grans name was Francis, if you find any info on the lady please let me know.

              Thank You

              Kind Regards

              Cheryl Gerber

              Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                Hello Cheryl

                I notice a New Zealand connection. I am descended from the St Helena MOSS family, which has Dr Alexander on my tree... if any interest, get back to me or Andrew MOSS in Sydney Aust (Addy is opn this group)

                Regards

                Roger KNIGHTS

                To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com