Toby, The Slave

  • shaun
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi Everyone

      I may have found the missing TOBIAS family from St Helena. Look at the following mail:

      "According to the India Office Family History Search pages Mr and Mrs (William) Balcombe had several slaves during the time frame 1805-1818:
      Priscilla slave of Mr Chamberlain married George Christopher, slave of Mr Balcombe .Richard William and Ann, slave to Mrs Balcombe had three children baptised, Charles William, James Henry and Sarah Martha. Robert was a son born to Mary, slave to Mr Balcombe and there was also the slave Toby, their gardener who was a favourite of Napoleon. None of them were born after 25 Dec 1818 (when children were born free) so all were still slaves after that date. Please can you advise if these people were accorded the dignity of their own surnames? Are there any descendents still left on the Island?
      Many thanks
      Caroline"

      Toby is short for TOBIAS and a sketch that appears with the "gardener slave appears with Napoleon. The resemblance to a living relative is remarkable!!!

      I need for information on TOBY...where he come from, ship records... he was Christened 19th December 1802 (Where & Which Church)...any siblings born to him...when he died...where he is buried. etc.

      Please HELP any you have any information.

      Shaun Paulsen
      +2784 631 7487
      shaunpaulsen@...
      skype: sspaulsen11
    • Caroline Gaden
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
        Hello Shaun
        Toby is depicted in a picture showing the meeting of Napoleon with the
        two Misses Balcombe ... it was in a painting called Napoléon à L'ile Ste
        Hélêne by artist Edouard -August Villain.

        The original is apparently hanging in the Château de Malmaison et
        Bois-Préau near Paris.... there are many web sites selling copies of it
        as a poster of the Balcombe girls meeting the Emperor (about £25-£30
        seems to be the going rate.)

        I'm sorry I can't help with any details of Toby or his family, nor the
        servant/slave who accompanied the family to England....

        Lowe's paranoia about the Balcombe's friendship with Napoleon continued
        even after they had left the Island (in March 1818). The Balcombe's had
        taken with them to England one of their servants, a local woman born on
        the Island. A year later she decided to return to her home on board the
        HEIC ship "Larkins". It was noted that the "Larkins" arrived having on
        board a black female servant of Mr Balcombe. This poor inoffensive woman
        had, it appeared (through attachment to Mr Balcombe's family)
        accompanied them to England, a crime you may suppose of no small
        magnitude in the eyes of Sir Hudson Lowe. Innocent, however, as the
        conduct of this harmless old creature was, the officers and men of the
        "Larkins" were doomed to suffer the greatest inconvenience for their
        humanity in giving her a passage to her native country. They were not
        permitted to land for two days in consequence in having her on board nor
        were the restrictions placed on them removed until the most
        inquisitorial examination before Sir Thomas Reade took place of this
        unoffending woman's person, papers and baggage. (Letter from St Helena
        Sept 1819)

        I mentioned various slaves in my earlier post, see below, but that is
        all the information I have found, sorry I can't be of more help

        All the best
        Caroline
        from family of William Balcombe of "The Briars"

        On 6/11/2012 5:25 AM, shaun wrote:
        > Hi Everyone
        >
        > I may have found the missing TOBIAS family from St Helena. Look at the
        > following mail:
        >
        > "According to the India Office Family History Search pages Mr and Mrs
        > (William) Balcombe had several slaves during the time frame 1805-1818:
        > Priscilla slave of Mr Chamberlain married George Christopher, slave of
        > Mr Balcombe .Richard William and Ann, slave to Mrs Balcombe had three
        > children baptised, Charles William, James Henry and Sarah Martha. Robert
        > was a son born to Mary, slave to Mr Balcombe and there was also the
        > slave Toby, their gardener who was a favourite of Napoleon. None of them
        > were born after 25 Dec 1818 (when children were born free) so all were
        > still slaves after that date. Please can you advise if these people were
        > accorded the dignity of their own surnames? Are there any descendents
        > still left on the Island?
        > Many thanks
        > Caroline"
        >
        > Toby is short for TOBIAS and a sketch that appears with the "gardener
        > slave appears with Napoleon. The resemblance to a living relative is
        > remarkable!!!
        >
        > I need for information on TOBY...where he come from, ship records... he
        > was Christened 19th December 1802 (Where & Which Church)...any siblings
        > born to him...when he died...where he is buried. etc.
        >
        > Please HELP any you have any information.
        >
        > Shaun Paulsen
        > +2784 631 7487
        > shaunpaulsen@... <mailto:shaunpaulsen%40yahoo.com>
        > skype: sspaulsen11

      • Shaun Paulsen,
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
          Thank you for your rapid response. It is now 10:33pm in South Africa and I just completed a very in depth research on Napoleons and Betsy's memoirs.

          The search lingers on.

          Kind regards.

          Sent from my iPad

          On 05 Nov 2012, at 10:00 PM, Caroline Gaden <cagaden@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >> slave Toby, their gardener who was a favourite of Napoleon. None of them
          >> were born after 25 Dec 1818 (when children were born free) so all were
          >> still slaves after that date. Please can you advise if these people were
          >> accorded the dignity of their own surnames? Are there any descendents
          >> still left on the Island?
          >> Many thanks
          >> Caroline"
          >>
          >> Toby is short for TOBIAS and a sketch that appears with the "gardener
          >> slave appears with Napoleon. The resemblance to a living relative is
          >> remarkable!!!
          >>
          >> I need for information on TOBY...where he come from, ship records... he
          >> was Christened 19th December 1802 (Where & Which Church)...any siblings
          >> born to him...when he died...where he is buried. etc.
          >>
          >> Please HELP any you have any information.

        • A.H.Schulenburg
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012

            According to Martineaus' 'Napoleon's St Helena' (1968), Toby was a Malay slave bought off an English captain.  This means he was not born on the island.  I do not know if he had any descendants on the island.

            Regards,
            Alexander Schulenburg

> [...]

            >> slave Toby, their gardener who was a favourite of Napoleon. None of them
            >> were born after 25 Dec 1818 (when children were born free) so all were
            >> still slaves after that date. Please can you advise if these people were
            >> accorded the dignity of their own surnames? Are there any descendents
            >> still left on the Island?
            >> Many thanks
            >> Caroline"
            >>
            >> Toby is short for TOBIAS and a sketch that appears with the "gardener
            >> slave appears with Napoleon. The resemblance to a living relative is
            >> remarkable!!!
            >>
            >> I need for information on TOBY...where he come from, ship records... he
            >> was Christened 19th December 1802 (Where & Which Church)...any siblings
            >> born to him...when he died...where he is buried. etc.
            >>
            >> Please HELP any you have any information.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)