Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

  • Leonard Meek
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      Wow! Surf's up!

      Leonard

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:58 PM
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

      The link below will take you to a small gallery of photos of the rollers
      which came in 1968/9. For those who have never seen them, it's very
      difficult to appreciate just how powerful the water can be.

      http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../Rollers/index.html

      John Coyle

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the
      roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue
      efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My
      guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage:
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

      Peter