Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

  • Alice Van Mierlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hi Johln

      Unbelieveble but magnificant - beautiful photography - must have been very special for you
      Thank you for sharing this.

      Alice M. Van Mierlo (working John and Stephen Young families)

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

      Peter

    • Leonard Meek
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
        Wow! Surf's up!

        Leonard

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks, John. Those were worth the proverbial "thousand words."
          Christine

          To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: jcoyle@...
          Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:58:52 +1000

          On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

          I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

          Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

          Peter

        • Clifford
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012