Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2012

      The rollers are actually a common phenomenon on St Helena.

      See Philip and Myrtle Ashmole, 'St Helena and Ascension Island: A Natural History' (Oswestry: Anthony Nelson, 2000), p.64:

      "St Helena (like Ascension) is affected by rollers, especially in the period from December to March. These are related to weather disturbances in the northwest Atlantic, which travel several thousand kilometres and approach the island from the northwest. The rollers are imperceptible in the open sea but can generate major breakers as they reach shallow water [...]."

      The Ashmoles go on to call the rollers of 18 February 1846 "the most dramatic episode of rollers".

      Regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

      Peter

    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2012
        The link below will take you to a small gallery of photos of the rollers which came in 1968/9. For those who have never seen them, it's very difficult to appreciate just how powerful the water can be.

        http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~jcoyle@.../Rollers/index.html

        John Coyle

        On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

        I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

        Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

        Peter
      • Alice Van Mierlo
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
          Hi Johln

          Unbelieveble but magnificant - beautiful photography - must have been very special for you
          Thank you for sharing this.

          Alice M. Van Mierlo (working John and Stephen Young families)

          On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

          I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

          Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

          Peter

        • Leonard Meek
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
            Wow! Surf's up!

            Leonard

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
              Thanks, John. Those were worth the proverbial "thousand words."
              Christine

              To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: jcoyle@...
              Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:58:52 +1000

              On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

              I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

              Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

              Peter

            • Clifford
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012