Seales and the rollers of 1846

  • pkbruce1947
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

      Peter
    • Christine & Craig Weaver
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
        Hi Peter,

        Wow, interesting piece, to confirm does this event occur on the 17 th February 1846?

        I have been googling to check if there were any major earthquakes during that time, just wondering if I understand the term "Tuesday the 17th instant".

        What do you think?
        Regards
        Christine

        Sent from my iPod

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2012
          I think this could have been the culprit!

          Overview

          The Indonesia: Halmahera: Ternate earthquake was on February 14, 1846.

          But I will have to check my map!
          Regards
          Christine
          Sent from my iPod