Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Captain Robert Jenkins

  • Ian Jenkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Thanks Barry and Bazzet for the information. it seems then that my
      ancestor was only in charge for a very short time then, and only
      realy to clear up the embezzelment.This is quite refreshing for me
      because he seems to have had quite a bad press about his character
      in the press at the time and recently,however it seems that he must
      have been reasonably trust worthy to take on this task. One question
      though did he sail his own ship the 'Rebecca' to the island or did
      he come on board another ship.
      I will see if I can get the book, mentioned by you Bazzet.
      Is the governership of the island a yearly appointment or can it be
      longer--

      - In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, <barryperrins@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Ian
      > Re Jenkins.
      > In 1741 Robert Jenkins arrived on the island to take charge and
      investigate a ' deficiency ' in the company funds. A certain Duke
      Crispe was found to be the one who was doing most of the embezziling
      aided by ? Bazett who where both of the council.

      Service.

    • Bazett Meyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hallo Ian,

        Philip Gosse did not mention the name of the ship in which Jenkins arrived
        or his status on that ship.

        You are quite right that Captain Jenkins came to St Helena to clear up the
        mess. The embezzelment mainly consisted of shortage of cash and the names of
        non existing people on the pay roll. Jenkins immediately played a strong
        hand. When investigations were protracted - since most of the papers had
        been burnt he incarcerated Crispe (the previous governor) for a few days,
        and gave him a book on divinity to assist him in his meditations.

        Sic. It is quite clear that he could not be popular but it is clear that
        Jenkins came to St. Helena to do a job and not trying to be the most popular
        kid on the block.

        Jenkins' succesor arrived on 22 March, 1741, in the ship Harrington and
        Jenkis left on that ship and commanded her for the rest of the voyage.

        The term of a governor was not fixed but most of them stayed only a few
        years. There were of course exceptons to this, the most notable of these
        were Hudson Ralph JANISCH who held the position from 1873 to 1884. He also
        had the distinction of being born on the island and never left it during his
        life time.

        This is about the sum total in Gosse's book but I still recommend the book
        as I firmly believe that genealogy shoul be studied within the historic
        environment.

        Regards
        Bazett Meyer