Cooper/Watson

  • cheryl gerber
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 2012
      Hello all Saints
      I am researching my grandfather Walter lester Cooper born 1902 on the Island. He was the son of George Cooper (born 1841 on the Island and married Emma Reynalds in 1886) Walter`s grandfather was also George Cooper born in 1823 and married Sarah Mitilda Watson, daughter of Henry and Eleanor Watson.
      My problem is that I cannot find any record as to whether the coopers` were originally from the UK. I am needing my grandfathers birth certificate and not sure where to start. I would also like to have as much info as possible on the Cooper family on the Island. Why was Emma on the island?, how did she get there,? was she a saint or a child to a british soldier posted on the island.
      My grandfather was in the merchant navy and settled in Cape Town. There were 8 children as far as I know.
      If anyone can help with info or guide me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

      Cheryl Gerber
    • Alice Van Mierlo
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 29, 2012
        Hello Cheryl

        Not much help, but I had met, in 1965, a Mrs. Cooper who was from St. Helena, I still have a photo of her. Not sure where she fitted in. I was quite young then and was staying with my then husband's grandmothner, Maggie Goddard and Mrs. Cooper and Maggie were very good friends. They lived in Woodstock, Cape Town. Maggie's family came from St. Helena - they were the Youngs. I was sitting with them and Mrs. Cooper asked Maggie "should we tell her" (referring to me) and Maggie said no she is still too young.  I regret to this day I did not push further for what they wanted to tell me. I guess they were right, I was too young and too naive.  I often wondered why I kept that photo of Mrs. Cooper.  I can scan the photo and send you a copy if you wish.  Sorry I wish I could have been more helpful.

        Regards

        Alice M. Van Mierlo

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
          Hello Alice

          Wow, this is exciting, I dont remember Goddard or the Youngs as I was only six years old at the time, but I have just asked my older brother and he can remember the Youngs, whether they are the same people who knows. My gran stayed in Woodstock for many years, in fact so did we for a few years. My gran`s name was Francis and grandfather Walter, Like yourself I too never asked many questions which I regret today, My grandparents used to visit the Island at least every two years while I was growing up but I never knew why!
          I would love to see the photo that you have as to confirm whether it is my gran.

          Kind regards

          ---- Original Message ---- From: cheryl gerber <hunnybugs69@...> To: st-helena-genealogy <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 2:13 pm Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Cooper/Watson

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
            Hi Cheryl

            Sounds similar, and I recall Mrs. Cooper talking about going to the Island, but never knew much about "the island".  Maggie gave me lots of pictures of the Youngs taken on St. helena as well which I still have. I was born in Cape Town but currently live in Canada, Calgary, my family is still in SA, I am at work now (it is 9am Friday morning and you are 8 hours ahead of our time here). Maggie's mother who came from st. helena Annie Sophia Young married George Goddard who was a diver with the Navy he came from Yorkshire, I have the original parchment papes of his service in the Royal Navy, scars he had, hair coloring, signatures of ships' captains on while he served as a diver. Annie Sophia and some of her sisters came to Cape Town, one other sister Amy, went to Plymouth with her British husband - I have a photo of them as well.
            On Monday I will bring the picture in, scan and e-mail it to you.  Thinking back now I wonder why Mrs. Cooper gave me a photo of herself. Mrs. Cooper and Maggie (Maggie's married name was Van Rensburg. This family is all on my ex-husband's side, I was born a Matthews but married a Theunissen in SA - one of Maggie's daughters married a Theunissen, hence I married the son.

            I am looking forward to hearing more - will send you the photo on Monday.

            Nice to hear from you.

            Alice M. Van Mierlo

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 37 KB
            Hi Cheryl

            I carry some Family History papers with me to work in my briefcase, just in case it gets quiet and I can work on it, and I have my St. Helena file folder her, and I have Mrs. Cooper picture.
            I have just scanned it and am enclosing it now.

            Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
              Hi Alice
              Thanks for the speedy reply, I am so inquisitive now as to what these ladies wanted to tell you!!! I remember always being told that children should be seen and not heard! Strange that Mrs Cooper would give you a photo of herself! mmmmmmm!! looking forward to seeing the pic. I always thought my grandfather was a sibling of two, I had met his sister Lilian when I was a little girl and only recently was contacted by a second cousin staying in NZ,I never knew exsisted, also through this site and found out that there were eight children, all born on the island, still trying to find out how they got to be on the island! This cousin had photos of my mom as a teenager and my aunt, my mom`s sister all the way in New Zealand. Her mom is still alive and she had married one of the cooper bothers.I just love all the mystery, was my grgrgrandfather in the british army? who knows, I have completed my paternal side of the tree , all from the uk, and strangely enough my grgrgrandfather James Whare had married a Jane Reagan also on St Helena Island! he was posted on the island serving in the Royal Artillery, this poor man was posted all over the world and finally retired in the cape, hence our exsistance in cape town!  ( still not sure how Jane got there) !

              Anyway, here I go again, my family thinks I am mad, I have been busy with this family tree for five years now, travelled to the UK five times and now finally complete with that side! Now its the coopers turn which is turning out harder than expected. I am hoping to fly to the island when the airport is complete and research, my gran and grandfather used to visit the island on the mail ship and always told stories about the stairs they would have to climb to get onto the island, eventually it got too much for them, bless their souls.

              Looking forward to the photo.
              enjoy your weekend

              Cheryl Gerber

              ---- Original Message ---- From: cheryl gerber <hunnybugs69@...> To: st-helena-genealogy <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Fri, Nov 30, 2012 4:09 am Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Cooper/Watson

              Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                Hello Cheryl and Alice. Just skimming through your recent emails as I'm a Cooper from NZ who also had relatives on the island. I'm currently travelling so don't have details of dates with me but the story my Dad has given me is that James Cooper was stationed on St Helena from England. While there he met and married a Sarah. They had a son named James on the island and a number more upon emigrating to New Zealand. I do have more names and dates for the children's births at home but have never been able to confirm details for Sarah or her line of the family.

                It'd be great if you're aware of any James Coopers marrying Sarah's on the island, or if you could connect me to the NZ Coopers.

                Thanks and good luck!

                Scott Cooper

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                  Hi Alice
                  Cannot seem to open attachment through this site, please send to : hunnybugs69@...

                  thanks
                  Cheryl

                  Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                    Hi Alice
                    managed to open the file, not too sure as this lady is very young in the photo, I only remember my gran as an old lady, I have forwarded the photo to my brother and he will let me know as he is ten years older than me

                    Message 10 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                      Hi Alice
                      My brother does not seem to think that this is our gran, she could be the wife of one of the brothers, there were four brothers, unfortunately as I said, still trying to trace most of the siblings. I am quite disappointed now, this does give me hope though ,as now I know that there are people actually following the saint site! P.S. My grans name was Francis, if you find any info on the lady please let me know.

                      Thank You

                      Kind Regards

                      Cheryl Gerber

                      Message 11 of 11 , Nov 30, 2012
                        Hello Cheryl

                        I notice a New Zealand connection. I am descended from the St Helena MOSS family, which has Dr Alexander on my tree... if any interest, get back to me or Andrew MOSS in Sydney Aust (Addy is opn this group)

                        Regards

                        Roger KNIGHTS

                        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com