newbie seeks info on daniel caldwell and mary caldwell nee marray

  • pkbruce1947
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2012
      hi,
      my great great great grandfather and mother, daniel and mary caldwell
      and family lived on st helena in the early 1800s. he was a common
      soldier in the militia and apparently a merchant too. they had a son
      daniel born 1816 and i believe the family left the island for penang,
      probably via london, about 1821 or 1822.

      i would love to learn how they came to st helena and about their
      ancestors in turn. any info you might have or suggestions about sources
      i could check would be much appreciated. as a note of interest, daniel
      junior played a significant role in the early events and politics of
      hong kong, some say an infamous role -- pirate eradicator or pirate
      collaborator. no one knows for sure.

      very pleased to be learning about st helena. thanks. peter

      ps. sorry about the lack of capitals. my shift key isn't working.