TRUEBODY ROOTS

  • tamorett
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hi

      I wish to know if anyone has ever researched the Truebody family's St. Helena roots. I have managed to trace the Truebody family back to James Truebody born in 1791 and buried on 26 October 1843 on St. Helena Island. He was married to Sarah Page born in 1791 and died on 28 March 1871. My questions are:

      1. Was the above James Truebody born on St. Helena? If not, what was his background?

      2. Charles Thomas Truebody – born 25 February 1871 and died on 20 September 1943 (in Cape Town) came to South Africa. When, how and why did he arrive in South Africa?

      I have done extensive research on the James Truebody – Amorett Harry Truebody lineage, but I simply can't find answers to the above questions.

      Please assist, if you can.

      Thanks

      Amorett Truebody
    • Ed Storey
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
        There have been recent inquiries about Watson & Truebody family names.  The East India Register and Directory for 1829 lists

        Mich Watson, shopkeeper
        James Truebody, barber

        both are on page 361, list of Inhabitants of St Helena.

        I have a copy and will scan & email it.  It can also be found online at HathiTrust

        ECS
      • tim.hatchett
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2013
          Hi Amorett
          Not an answer to your questions but I have Harriet Rose Truebody, b. St Helena 1851. She married Thomas L M Adams on St Helena. Their daughter Robina Glass Adams married my Great Uncle Harold E P Fellows on St Helena in 1902. I am looking for Harriet's granddaughters, Beatrice Adams Fellows (b.1903) and Robina Fellows (b.1906). The last I know of them is in the 1911 England Census where they appear to be with the army in South Africa.
          Tim Hatchett

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "tamorett" <amorett@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >

          > I wish to know if anyone has ever researched the Truebody family's St. Helena roots. I have managed to trace the Truebody family back to James Truebody born in 1791 and buried on 26 October 1843 on St. Helena Island. He was married to Sarah Page born in 1791 and died on 28 March 1871. My questions are:
          >

          > 1. Was the above James Truebody born on St. Helena? If not, what was his background?
          >
          > 2. Charles Thomas Truebody – born 25 February 1871 and died on 20 September 1943 (in Cape Town) came to South Africa. When, how and why did he arrive in South Africa?
          >

          > I have done extensive research on the James Truebody – Amorett Harry Truebody lineage, but I simply can't find answers to the above questions.
          >

          > Please assist, if you can.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Amorett Truebody

        • tamorett
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2014

            Hi Tim

            Thanks so much for the info on the Truebody family - some gaps in the family history had been filled with your contribution.

            I wish you well.

            Amorett Truebody