Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Military births on St Helena

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
      I am glad all worked out for you. Between Google Books, WorldCat, & Hathitrust there is a lot of information.
      Ed Storey

      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Dorothy Baynham <dottie.baynham@...> wrote:

      Dear ECS

      Eureka! following these very precise instructions.  Your mini typo of Coburn's instead of Colburn's may have muddied the search waters, but I got there.

      Thank you

      Dottie B
      On 4 Oct 2012, at 16:30, Nancy wrote:

      Here is how I did this.

      1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
      2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
      3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
      4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
      5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
      6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
      7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
      8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

      let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

      thank you
      ECS