Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: 1829 List of Inhabitants - Women's Names - Intro

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 13, 2012
      Hi Lara,

      Have you looked at the St Helena Seales family history page at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rpeld/page1/page1.html

      Regards,
      Alexander

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Lara
      Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 11:12 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: 1829 List of Inhabitants - Women's Names - Intro

      Hello Ed,

      Thank you so very much for the info on the 1829 list of inhabitants. I looked it up today and found it quite fascinating. It was a lot of fun to see that there was a school on the island at that time as well as writers, chaplains, farmers, bakers, weavers, boat builders, an ale-house keeper, brewer, shopkeepers, shoe makers, carpenters, etc. I don't think the overseer or the gaoler would be fun jobs though.

      What I also found interesting was that there were some people with the same names such as John Robinson the farmer and John Robinson the wheelwright.

      I am new to the group. I very recently discovered that my great great grandfather was Hamelin Trelawney Seale born around 1839 on St. Helena island. I do not know his father's name yet -- I am waiting to receive his marriage certificate from England. Once I find out that info, the list of inhabitants will certainly be helpful as there are men with the last name Seale on the list.

      Does any one know of any way to find out more about the women on the island?? Of course, there are a lot of men listed as inhabitants and very few women. If my great great grandfather was born there and many others, his mom and other women must have been there too.

      I also noticed that in the list of births in the magazine that you mention, Ed, in a previous post, the women's names are not even given. It just says a son or daughter was born to the lady of Col. John Smith. The child's name is not listed either. I also thought it was strange that still born babies were listed in births and not deaths. Again, very fascinating info.

      Thanks again.

      Lara

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 14, 2012
        Lara,

        I agree that it is tough to find women.  I was a little surprised to see so many widows in the list.  It would be great if we could find local newspapers from the period.  They would have more information on individuals.
        Ed Storey

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 22, 2012
          Lara,

          In my note, I mentioned the 1829 "List of Inhabs" In fact, there are other years available ( I think 1825 & 1832, for example ) you can make comparisons and perhaps there will be clues to women.

          Also, I have found some St Helena people in FamilySearch.

          In everything you look at look for "Passengers". As well as "Marriages". You never know what might turn up.

          ECS

[...]

        • Lara
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 27, 2012
            I just wanted to give a huge thank you to Alexander for mentioning the Seale Family History page

            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rpeld/page30/page30.html

            I found this Web site while doing an internet search before you mentioned it. I even emailed the author and researcher Carolyn Colleen Eldredge and she responded to me. The funny thing is I did not go through all of the names manually. I just did a search on my great great grandfather's name and it did not turn up. Also, I had an incorrect birth year for him. I thought he was born later than he was. Today I received my great great grandfather's wedding certificate in the mail from England. This certificate has his father's name on it as well as his profession so I started to manually go through all of the names on the list and do an internet search. It turns out his father was Robert Francis Seale born in 1791. Unfortunately, Robert Francis did not have a happy end to his life. Luckily, his son Hamelin Trelawney Seale faired better.

            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rpeld/page48/page48.html

            Now I really want to find the book "St. Helena 1502-1938" by Phillip Gosse published London 1938. I find the history of St. Helena to be extremely fascinating. I am glad that more of St. Helena's history is being digitized.

            Hope everyone is well.

            Lara
          • IAIN HEDLEY
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
              Hello Lara,

              My sister-in-law is descended from Ellen Seale, abt 1870 on St Helena, who married an Irish soldier James Wood in Stoke Damerel. I've contacted Carolyn but drawn a blank on this lady. Emailing on the off chance you might know a connection.

              Iain

[...]

            • Christine & Craig Weaver
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
                Hi my Seale cousins,

                 My name is Christine Weaver(Bell) and my Seale connection is through my Great Grandmother Lucretia Adelaide Rogers who had Seales on her maternal and paternal side, namely Penelope Seal and James Seal, so I am related to the first Seale on the Island Benjamin Seale. Just wanted to say hi, I really love all the fascinating history and Colleen's wonderful Seale family site has been truly fascinating!

                Take care
                Christine

                Sent from my iPod

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
                    In the "EAst India Register ....." For 1819, there Seales listed in the St Helena Civil Estabmishment, page 348.  One is a Factor & one is a junior merchant.

                    ECS

                    Sent from my iPad

[...]

                  • Shaun Paulsen,