RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Military births on St Helena

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012

      Try http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010068455  if you go down this page you will see links to all the magazines

      Colin Fox

      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of merilyn.pedrick@...
      Sent: 03 October 2012 01:12
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Military births on St Helena

      Hi Ed

      Thanks for this information, but I've not been able to find the magazine. I
      got as far as Hathi Trust, but couldn't proceed from there to Coburn's
      United Service Magazine.

      I'm trying to find information about James Samuel Graham, who went to St.
      Helena as a gunner with the HEIC in 1827, having enlisted in England in 1826

      I know that two children were baptised in St. Helena, but have know
      knowledge about his parents, or where he was born.

      Would Coburn's be able to give me this type of information?

      Best wishes

      Merilyn Pedrick

      Aldgate, South Australia

    • Dorothy Baynham
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
        Dear ECS

        Eureka! following these very precise instructions.  Your mini typo of Coburn's instead of Colburn's may have muddied the search waters, but I got there.

        Thank you

        Dottie B
        On 4 Oct 2012, at 16:30, Nancy wrote:

        Here is how I did this.

        1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
        2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
        3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
        4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
        5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
        6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
        7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
        8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

        let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

        thank you
        ECS

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

        > To Ed Storey
        >
        > Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Adele

      • Nancy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
          I am glad all worked out for you. Between Google Books, WorldCat, & Hathitrust there is a lot of information.
          Ed Storey

          Sent from my iPad