Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Military births on St Helena

  • Adele
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
      To Ed Storey

      Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.

      Thank you
      Adele

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
        Hi Ed,
        Thanks for the heads-up.
        David.

        In a message dated 02/10/2012 22:40:46 GMT Daylight Time, nancyjstorey@... writes:

        I have been searching for evidence of the families of officers going to the island. I can't find any newspapers from the 1850 timeframe.

        There is, however, a periodical named Coburn's United Service
        Magazine. It is available online: go to worldcat & then to Hathi Trust for access. There are lots of copies about 1830 to 1890. Each one has 4 months bound together.

        They have BMD information of both HEIC & royal army officers. I noticed some occurances from St. Helena. There is search capability. It is probably not complete, but it is all I have found.

        Ed Storey

      • Dorothy Baynham
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
          Hi Ed

          Thanks for the info. I too have had problems accessing Coburns, but
          in the process you have introduced me to an amazing resource.

          I will keep trying!

          thank you

          Dottie Baynham
        • foxhome
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012

            Try http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010068455  if you go down this page you will see links to all the magazines

            Colin Fox

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012
              Here is how I did this.

              1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
              2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
              3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
              4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
              5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
              6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
              7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
              8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

              let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

              thank you
              ECS

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

              > To Ed Storey
              >
              > Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.
              >
              > Thank you
              > Adele

            • Dorothy Baynham
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
                Dear ECS

                Eureka! following these very precise instructions.  Your mini typo of Coburn's instead of Colburn's may have muddied the search waters, but I got there.

                Thank you

                Dottie B
                On 4 Oct 2012, at 16:30, Nancy wrote:

                Here is how I did this.

                1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
                2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
                3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
                4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
                5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
                6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
                7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
                8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

                let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

                thank you
                ECS

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

                > To Ed Storey
                >
                > Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.
                >
                > Thank you
                > Adele

              • Nancy
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
                  I am glad all worked out for you. Between Google Books, WorldCat, & Hathitrust there is a lot of information.
                  Ed Storey

                  Sent from my iPad