Military births on St Helena

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
      I have been searching for evidence of the families of officers going to the island. I can't find any newspapers from the 1850 timeframe.

      There is, however, a periodical named Coburn's United Service
      Magazine. It is available online: go to worldcat & then to Hathi Trust for access. There are lots of copies about 1830 to 1890. Each one has 4 months bound together.

      They have BMD information of both HEIC & royal army officers. I noticed some occurances from St. Helena. There is search capability. It is probably not complete, but it is all I have found.

      Ed Storey
    • Adele
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
        To Ed Storey

        Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.

        Thank you
        Adele

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
          Hi Ed

          Thanks for this information, but I've not been able to find the magazine. I
          got as far as Hathi Trust, but couldn't proceed from there to Coburn's
          United Service Magazine.

          I'm trying to find information about James Samuel Graham, who went to St.
          Helena as a gunner with the HEIC in 1827, having enlisted in England in 1826

          I know that two children were baptised in St. Helena, but have know
          knowledge about his parents, or where he was born.

          Would Coburn's be able to give me this type of information?

          Best wishes

          Merilyn Pedrick

          Aldgate, South Australia
        • DavSpread@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
            Hi Ed,
            Thanks for the heads-up.
            David.

            In a message dated 02/10/2012 22:40:46 GMT Daylight Time, nancyjstorey@... writes:

            I have been searching for evidence of the families of officers going to the island. I can't find any newspapers from the 1850 timeframe.

            There is, however, a periodical named Coburn's United Service
            Magazine. It is available online: go to worldcat & then to Hathi Trust for access. There are lots of copies about 1830 to 1890. Each one has 4 months bound together.

            They have BMD information of both HEIC & royal army officers. I noticed some occurances from St. Helena. There is search capability. It is probably not complete, but it is all I have found.

            Ed Storey

          • Dorothy Baynham
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
              Hi Ed

              Thanks for the info. I too have had problems accessing Coburns, but
              in the process you have introduced me to an amazing resource.

              I will keep trying!

              thank you

              Dottie Baynham
            • foxhome
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012

                Try http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010068455  if you go down this page you will see links to all the magazines

                Colin Fox

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2012
                  Here is how I did this.

                  1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
                  2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
                  3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
                  4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
                  5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
                  6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
                  7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
                  8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

                  let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

                  thank you
                  ECS

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

                  > To Ed Storey
                  >
                  > Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  > Adele

                • Dorothy Baynham
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
                    Dear ECS

                    Eureka! following these very precise instructions.  Your mini typo of Coburn's instead of Colburn's may have muddied the search waters, but I got there.

                    Thank you

                    Dottie B
                    On 4 Oct 2012, at 16:30, Nancy wrote:

                    Here is how I did this.

                    1) I went to WorldCat and entered "United Service Magazine" & then clicked on search everything
                    2) the 2nd response on the list says "eJournal..." I clicked on that
                    3) about 1/2 way down the screen, is says "find a copy online"
                    4) under that, it says Hathitrust Digital Library. I clicked on that
                    5) a new screen opens. scroll down to "viewability"
                    6) immediately thereunder it says a series of Full view. Find the year you want. Remember each year has 3 parts, with 4 months in each part.
                    7) notice the source of the printed version. generally more than one copy has been microfilmed. If pages are missing from one copy, find one from a different source.
                    8) for example in the first part of 1832, domestic occurances are on pages 141, 283,430, & 574

                    let me know if this is still not clear. I'm sorry not to have been clearer the first time. Remember, posting in the magazine required someone to send in the information & this was not always done.

                    thank you
                    ECS

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

                    > To Ed Storey
                    >
                    > Would you please be a bit more specific in regards to the search? I got up to Worldcat but can't get any further.
                    >
                    > Thank you
                    > Adele

                  • Nancy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
                      I am glad all worked out for you. Between Google Books, WorldCat, & Hathitrust there is a lot of information.
                      Ed Storey

                      Sent from my iPad