Re: RES: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

  • David Beakhust
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
      Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
      this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
      file as it is just plain text.

      I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
      options exist.

      Try the following:
      1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
      Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
      the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
      to join all the lines into one huge block!)

      OR (rather better)
      Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
      (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
      without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
      as I am happy with what I use.

      Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
      family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
      family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
      import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
      adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
      individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
      fields listed, and add them by hand.

      Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
      posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
      Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
      in checking it!

      Good luck

      Dave Beakhst

      On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

      > Hello Renato
      >
      > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
      > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
      > it in a different format?
      >
      > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
      > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
      > forward to receiving your reply.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Jolene

    • jolene joshua
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
        Hello Dave

        Thanks for much for the step-by-step instructions to accessing the file. I have been able to download the Ancestral Quest Basics Software (FREE) and was able to access the file.

        Now to start going through all the info!

        Kind regards,

        Jolene

        Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
        this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
        file as it is just plain text.

        I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
        options exist.

        Try the following:
        1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
        Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
        the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
        to join all the lines into one huge block!)

        OR (rather better)
        Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
        (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
        without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
        as I am happy with what I use.

        Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
        family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
        family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
        import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
        adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
        individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
        fields listed, and add them by hand.

        Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
        posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
        Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
        in checking it!

        Good luck

        Dave Beakhst

        On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

        > Hello Renato
        >
        > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
        > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
        > it in a different format?
        >
        > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
        > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
        > forward to receiving your reply.
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jolene