RES: RES: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

  • RENATO BUENO NETTO
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012

      Hello Jolene,

      I’m undestandig that you live in or Just traveling in St. Helena.

      If so, try to get help in opening the file with my relatives, - Diana Benjamin or Patrick Joshua, with whom I left a copy of the software, or if easear, pass by the Museum and ask them to open the file and get it printed for ypu.

      I’ve tried to get in text format, but it become missundertandable.

      I’ll try to do  it into a table format

      Regards,

      Renato Bueno Netto

      Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1

      80510-340 CURITIBA, PR

      tel. res.       ++5541-3045-0351

      tel. celular   ++5541-9121-0566

      From: RENATO BUENO NETTO <rbnetto@...>
      Subject: RES: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family [2 Attachments]
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: genieandjim@..., "'Ronnie Joshua'" <joshua@...>, "'tahnasissingcorker'" <t.sissing@...>, "'Christine Corker'" <corker3@...>, "'Christine Adams'" <adamslab2@...>
      Date: Monday, August 27, 2012, 8:14 AM

      Hello Jolene, Ronnie,

      Attached is the file RENATO BUENO NETTO.AQ and RENATO BUENO NETTO.GED, me as the primary individual. For those who use a genealogical software

      If by any chance you do use specific software that supports other format I will be glad to send it too.

      While visiting Saint Helena, I donated the software I use, ANCESTRAL QUEST, to the Museum explaining to the administrator how visitors to the ARCHIVE can leave their researches at the Museum as a contribution of their qualified research on files. Travelling back to Brazil, on the RMS St. Helena, I had the opportunity to talk to the Governor and suggest him to put all the genealogical information into a database so everyone could get easy and trustable data, with the possibility of the use of FIND facility in within all files.

      I really hope something useful could be done by transcription of all births, marriages and death information available at ARCHIVES.

      Who knows it is already a reality. a reality

      From: "RENATO BUENO NETTO" <rbnetto@...>

      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:00:39 -0300

      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

      Cc: <t.sissing@...>; <Corker3@...>

      Subject: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

      Hi Tahna,
      According to my mothers handwriting records, Winifred Ethel Joshua, her
      mother, Edith Maude Joshua got married to Henry James Corker on 06/06/1933.
      Lately, when in Saint Helena, I got to meet my relatives and have a record
      of marriage of Sandra Ann Williams, b 23/01/1957 to Gary Corker, b 21/04/?
      (this is the only data I have.. I'd love to hear and know more about the
      Corker's. My file is on Ancestral Quest 11, aqz file type and I can share
      it.
      Renato Bueno Netto
      Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1
      80510-340 CURITIBA, PR, Brasil
      Home phone # ++5541-3045-0351
      Mobile phine # ++5541-9121-0566

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
        Hello Renato

        Thanks so much for the effort.

        I actually live in South Africa so will not be able to access your relatives or the museum on the Island. I guess will have to try and download the software at some point.

        Looking forward to see if you are connected to some of the Joshua's I have met on the Island. I have started researching Joshua's in South Africa and am still trying to find my own progenitor's connection to the Island. As mentioned before, this weekend we have a St Helena Heritage Exhibition here in Cape Town at which we will be sharing our Joshua Family tree/s.

        Regards and thanks again,

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
          Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
          this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
          file as it is just plain text.

          I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
          options exist.

          Try the following:
          1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
          Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
          the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
          to join all the lines into one huge block!)

          OR (rather better)
          Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
          (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
          without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
          as I am happy with what I use.

          Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
          family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
          family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
          import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
          adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
          individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
          fields listed, and add them by hand.

          Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
          posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
          Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
          in checking it!

          Good luck

          Dave Beakhst

          On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

          > Hello Renato
          >
          > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
          > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
          > it in a different format?
          >
          > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
          > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
          > forward to receiving your reply.
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Jolene

        • Jan Bryant
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 16, 2012
            Hi Renato

            I am intrigued by your reference to Diana Benjamin - do you know of any relationship to Henry & Maisie Benjamin? Maisie was a teacher on ther island, her brother Charles Thomas lives at Knollcombe and they are my cousins.

            Best wishes

            Jan

            Jan Bryant, West Sussex, England

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
              Hello Dave

              Thanks for much for the step-by-step instructions to accessing the file. I have been able to download the Ancestral Quest Basics Software (FREE) and was able to access the file.

              Now to start going through all the info!

              Kind regards,

              Jolene

              Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
              this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
              file as it is just plain text.

              I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
              options exist.

              Try the following:
              1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
              Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
              the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
              to join all the lines into one huge block!)

              OR (rather better)
              Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
              (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
              without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
              as I am happy with what I use.

              Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
              family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
              family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
              import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
              adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
              individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
              fields listed, and add them by hand.

              Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
              posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
              Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
              in checking it!

              Good luck

              Dave Beakhst

              On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

              > Hello Renato
              >
              > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
              > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
              > it in a different format?
              >
              > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
              > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
              > forward to receiving your reply.
              >
              > Thanks in advance!
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Jolene