RES: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

  • RENATO BUENO NETTO
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 26, 2012

    Hello Jolene, Ronnie,

    Attached is the file RENATO BUENO NETTO.AQ and RENATO BUENO NETTO.GED, me as the primary individual. For those who use a genealogical software

    If by any chance you do use specific software that supports other format I will be glad to send it too.

    While visiting Saint Helena, I donated the software I use, ANCESTRAL QUEST, to the Museum explaining to the administrator how visitors to the ARCHIVE can leave their researches at the Museum as a contribution of their qualified research on files. Travelling back to Brazil, on the RMS St. Helena, I had the opportunity to talk to the Governor and suggest him to put all the genealogical information into a database so everyone could get easy and trustable data, with the possibility of the use of FIND facility in within all files.

    I really hope something useful could be done by transcription of all births, marriages and death information available at ARCHIVES.

    Who knows it is already a reality. a reality

    Renato Bueno Netto

    Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1

    80510-340 CURITIBA, PR

    tel. res.       ++5541-3045-0351

    tel. celular   ++5541-9121-0566

    From: "RENATO BUENO NETTO" <rbnetto@...>

    Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:00:39 -0300

    To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

    Cc: <t.sissing@...>; <Corker3@...>

    Subject: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

    Hi Tahna,
    According to my mothers handwriting records, Winifred Ethel Joshua, her
    mother, Edith Maude Joshua got married to Henry James Corker on 06/06/1933.
    Lately, when in Saint Helena, I got to meet my relatives and have a record
    of marriage of Sandra Ann Williams, b 23/01/1957 to Gary Corker, b 21/04/?
    (this is the only data I have.. I'd love to hear and know more about the
    Corker's. My file is on Ancestral Quest 11, aqz file type and I can share
    it.
    Renato Bueno Netto
    Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1
    80510-340 CURITIBA, PR, Brasil
    Home phone # ++5541-3045-0351
    Mobile phine # ++5541-9121-0566

    Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012
      Hello Renato

      Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send it in a different format?

      We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking forward to receiving your reply.

      Thanks in advance!

      Regards,

      Jolene

      Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012

        Hello Jolene,

        I’m undestandig that you live in or Just traveling in St. Helena.

        If so, try to get help in opening the file with my relatives, - Diana Benjamin or Patrick Joshua, with whom I left a copy of the software, or if easear, pass by the Museum and ask them to open the file and get it printed for ypu.

        I’ve tried to get in text format, but it become missundertandable.

        I’ll try to do  it into a table format

        Regards,

        Message 4 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
          Hello Renato

          Thanks so much for the effort.

          I actually live in South Africa so will not be able to access your relatives or the museum on the Island. I guess will have to try and download the software at some point.

          Looking forward to see if you are connected to some of the Joshua's I have met on the Island. I have started researching Joshua's in South Africa and am still trying to find my own progenitor's connection to the Island. As mentioned before, this weekend we have a St Helena Heritage Exhibition here in Cape Town at which we will be sharing our Joshua Family tree/s.

          Regards and thanks again,

          Message 5 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
            Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
            this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
            file as it is just plain text.

            I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
            options exist.

            Try the following:
            1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
            Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
            the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
            to join all the lines into one huge block!)

            OR (rather better)
            Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
            (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
            without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
            as I am happy with what I use.

            Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
            family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
            family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
            import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
            adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
            individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
            fields listed, and add them by hand.

            Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
            posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
            Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
            in checking it!

            Good luck

            Dave Beakhst

            On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

            > Hello Renato
            >
            > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
            > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
            > it in a different format?
            >
            > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
            > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
            > forward to receiving your reply.
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Jolene

          • Jan Bryant
            Message 6 of 14 , Sep 16, 2012
              Hi Renato

              I am intrigued by your reference to Diana Benjamin - do you know of any relationship to Henry & Maisie Benjamin? Maisie was a teacher on ther island, her brother Charles Thomas lives at Knollcombe and they are my cousins.

              Best wishes

              Jan

              Jan Bryant, West Sussex, England

              Message 7 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                Hello Dave

                Thanks for much for the step-by-step instructions to accessing the file. I have been able to download the Ancestral Quest Basics Software (FREE) and was able to access the file.

                Now to start going through all the info!

                Kind regards,

                Jolene

                Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
                this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
                file as it is just plain text.

                I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
                options exist.

                Try the following:
                1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
                Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
                the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
                to join all the lines into one huge block!)

                OR (rather better)
                Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
                (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
                without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
                as I am happy with what I use.

                Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
                family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
                family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
                import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
                adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
                individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
                fields listed, and add them by hand.

                Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
                posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
                Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
                in checking it!

                Good luck

                Dave Beakhst

                On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

                > Hello Renato
                >
                > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
                > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
                > it in a different format?
                >
                > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
                > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
                > forward to receiving your reply.
                >
                > Thanks in advance!
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Jolene