RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Alexander Connor

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2012
      The India Office Family Search shows his birth record:
      http://indiafamily.bl.uk/ui/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000053240
      I've been out of St Helena research for many years, so not sure how to interpret parent[s] listed as "Catherine, free"
      I don't know if the actual record would have any more information, or if they've transcribed it in its entirety.
      It's not much but might give you a clue.
      Christine

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: margaretconnor695@...
      Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:19:44 +0000
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Alexander Connor

      Researching Connor family and found my husbands great grandfather Alexander Connor b abt1831 came from St Helena, wife Mary Ann b abt 1828, some of the children state place of birth as St Helena or England
      children, Kathleen Susan b 1857 John Florence b1858 Robert Laing b 1862
      Mary Ann b1865 The family settled in South Africa, can pick them up on the 1882 voters list
      I would be gratefull for any additional info or advice as to where I might find additional info

    • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2012
        A lot of people were indentured servants or slaves on St Helena. At least, up until the 1830s. They were then set "Free". The slaves were mainly African or East Asian (eg Chinese) and took Anglicised names from their owners or by their own choice. You can get a blood/gene test done to check your ethnic roots.

        Sent using BlackBerry®.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2012
          Hello Christine
          thanks so much for the tip  its seems as if you have hit the nail on the head, the date of birth that I have for Alexander Connor taken from the headstone is 24 Dec 1831   the year is often out a bit but I am sure it is the same person, now atleast I have a starting point.
          unfortunately there were not documents handed down from him and I need to go to the archives to dig out more info with regards to his estate etc, its quite a lengthy proceedure and there is not much on line, at least now I know I am going in the right direction,
          thanks once again for the info
          regards
          Margaret