Re: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

  • Jolene Joshua
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 25, 2012
      Hello Renato

      I am not connected in any way to the Corker's but to the Joshua's.
      I see that you mentioned JOSHUA in your mail. I am researching the Joshua Family in South Africa (from St Helena) and would love to hear more about your Joshua family. Please feel free to mail me directly at jojosh76@...

      Thanks.

      Jolene

      From: "RENATO BUENO NETTO" <rbnetto@...>
      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:00:39 -0300
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <t.sissing@...>; <Corker3@...>
      Subject: RES: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Corker Family

      Hi Tahna,
      According to my mothers handwriting records, Winifred Ethel Joshua, her
      mother, Edith Maude Joshua got married to Henry James Corker on 06/06/1933.
      Lately, when in Saint Helena, I got to meet my relatives and have a record
      of marriage of Sandra Ann Williams, b 23/01/1957 to Gary Corker, b 21/04/?
      (this is the only data I have.. I'd love to hear and know more about the
      Corker's. My file is on Ancestral Quest 11, aqz file type and I can share
      it.
      Renato Bueno Netto
      Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1
      80510-340 CURITIBA, PR, Brasil
      Home phone # ++5541-3045-0351
      Mobile phine # ++5541-9121-0566

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2012
        The India Office Record Search site has about 10 entries for surname Joshua. If you've not consulted them before, you might want to check them out.
        http://indiafamily.bl.uk/ui/Home.aspx
        Also, Glennis Snells's "The Knipe Family of St Helena" mentions and Richard Joshua and a Mary Joshua as baptismal sponsors for Lockwood Boyce Young, bapt. 1 Sep 1781 St Helena.
        Christine

        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25, 2012
          Thanks so much Christine!

          I'm currently trying to trace my family's lineage back to St Helena. My
          grandfather's name is Albert Alexander Corker (born 1934, still
          living). His mother and father was of St Helena island, Thomas & Ethel
          Corker (maiden name unknown).

          We know that Thomas died when my grandfather was 11 years old, making
          it 1945, but we're not sure where. My grandfather moved to Cape Town
          where he grew up.

          If anybody knows of the Corker name, I'd love to hear from you!

          Thanks,
          Tahna Sissing

        • RENATO BUENO NETTO
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2012

          Hello Jolene, Ronnie,

          Attached is the file RENATO BUENO NETTO.AQ and RENATO BUENO NETTO.GED, me as the primary individual. For those who use a genealogical software

          If by any chance you do use specific software that supports other format I will be glad to send it too.

          While visiting Saint Helena, I donated the software I use, ANCESTRAL QUEST, to the Museum explaining to the administrator how visitors to the ARCHIVE can leave their researches at the Museum as a contribution of their qualified research on files. Travelling back to Brazil, on the RMS St. Helena, I had the opportunity to talk to the Governor and suggest him to put all the genealogical information into a database so everyone could get easy and trustable data, with the possibility of the use of FIND facility in within all files.

          I really hope something useful could be done by transcription of all births, marriages and death information available at ARCHIVES.

          Who knows it is already a reality. a reality

          Renato Bueno Netto

          Rua Dom Alberto Gonçalves, 452 casa 1

          80510-340 CURITIBA, PR

          tel. res.       ++5541-3045-0351

          tel. celular   ++5541-9121-0566

          Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012
            Hello Renato

            Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send it in a different format?

            We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking forward to receiving your reply.

            Thanks in advance!

            Regards,

            Jolene

            Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2012

              Hello Jolene,

              I’m undestandig that you live in or Just traveling in St. Helena.

              If so, try to get help in opening the file with my relatives, - Diana Benjamin or Patrick Joshua, with whom I left a copy of the software, or if easear, pass by the Museum and ask them to open the file and get it printed for ypu.

              I’ve tried to get in text format, but it become missundertandable.

              I’ll try to do  it into a table format

              Regards,

              Message 7 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
                Hello Renato

                Thanks so much for the effort.

                I actually live in South Africa so will not be able to access your relatives or the museum on the Island. I guess will have to try and download the software at some point.

                Looking forward to see if you are connected to some of the Joshua's I have met on the Island. I have started researching Joshua's in South Africa and am still trying to find my own progenitor's connection to the Island. As mentioned before, this weekend we have a St Helena Heritage Exhibition here in Cape Town at which we will be sharing our Joshua Family tree/s.

                Regards and thanks again,

                Message 8 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
                  Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
                  this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
                  file as it is just plain text.

                  I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
                  options exist.

                  Try the following:
                  1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
                  Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
                  the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
                  to join all the lines into one huge block!)

                  OR (rather better)
                  Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
                  (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
                  without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
                  as I am happy with what I use.

                  Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
                  family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
                  family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
                  import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
                  adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
                  individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
                  fields listed, and add them by hand.

                  Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
                  posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
                  Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
                  in checking it!

                  Good luck

                  Dave Beakhst

                  On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

                  > Hello Renato
                  >
                  > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
                  > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
                  > it in a different format?
                  >
                  > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
                  > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
                  > forward to receiving your reply.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance!
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Jolene

                • Jan Bryant
                  Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2012
                    Hi Renato

                    I am intrigued by your reference to Diana Benjamin - do you know of any relationship to Henry & Maisie Benjamin? Maisie was a teacher on ther island, her brother Charles Thomas lives at Knollcombe and they are my cousins.

                    Best wishes

                    Jan

                    Jan Bryant, West Sussex, England

                    Message 10 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                      Hello Dave

                      Thanks for much for the step-by-step instructions to accessing the file. I have been able to download the Ancestral Quest Basics Software (FREE) and was able to access the file.

                      Now to start going through all the info!

                      Kind regards,

                      Jolene

                      Hi there. I am just following the mailing list and managed to import
                      this into the software I use. You could also try to view the raw GEDCOM
                      file as it is just plain text.

                      I assume you use windows, but if you use (say) linux or Mac s/w, other
                      options exist.

                      Try the following:
                      1: TO VIEW AS TEXT: open the (.GED) attachment in "Wordpad" (START > All
                      Programs > accessories> Wordpad), but NOT in NOTEPAD. You will then see
                      the raw GEDCOM data and this is human-readable (sort of). (Notepad seems
                      to join all the lines into one huge block!)

                      OR (rather better)
                      Download any genealogy software that is free to use. I use LEGACY
                      (legacyfamilytree.com), but others are available, though not many
                      without restrictions. I have not researched what is currently available,
                      as I am happy with what I use.

                      Using the example of Legacy Family tree software, create a new (empty)
                      family file, then "import" the .GED attachment. It will populate the
                      family tree in a few seconds. I have noticed that it may not correctly
                      import the "Notes", and information for example that someone was
                      adopted. For example this look at individual 271. If you view the
                      individuals in the text file (.GED) you can see the notes and other
                      fields listed, and add them by hand.

                      Quite possibly if you used the very same software as the person who
                      posted the attachments, the import will be better, but I found that
                      Legacy does indeed import the main data without effort. The effort comes
                      in checking it!

                      Good luck

                      Dave Beakhst

                      On 10/09/2012 19:02, jolene joshua wrote:

                      > Hello Renato
                      >
                      > Thanks so much for forwarding this to me. Unfortunately I was unable to
                      > open it as I do not have the genealogical software. Are you able to send
                      > it in a different format?
                      >
                      > We are having a St Helena Exhibition this week-end so I would love to
                      > see if there is any info in your family tree that may be useful. Looking
                      > forward to receiving your reply.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance!
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Jolene