RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family of Mary Houndsworth m 28 Dec 1824 Thomas Pollard, also John Gamble

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2012

      Dave, Apart from slaves on St Helena there were also numbers of people of non-European ancestry that were collectively known as ‘free-blacks’. Their origins could be African, Indian or south east Asian or a mixture of any of those and included in the mix could be some with European or even Chinese ancestry. As slaves gained or were given their freedom, the numbers of free blacks increased (in 1800 there were about 300) until by about 1820 there were equal numbers of slaves and free blacks (about 1000). A European or English name is no indicator of racial origin.

      By 1827 there was a move to free slaves and this was achieved by valuing them and the EI Company providing a loan (repayable by instalment) so that they could purchase their freedom. The process was slow to start off but eventually got going on a regular basis and by 1836 all the slaves were free. Very few paid off their loans and by 1840 the British Government wrote off the remaining debts.

      If you want to know more, join the Friends of St Helena (www.FOSH.org.uk) and you will get access to my article on this subject on their website. Also a list of all the slaves on the island in 1827.

      Marrying a soldier did not make a woman free but is was quite often the case that in those circumstances, the soldier would buy his wife and (prior to 1818) his children’s freedom.

      Regards

      Colin