Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Archives

  • Carolyn Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
      Hi:

      Having worked for the US decennial census in 2000, I understand very well how enumerators made errors when filling out the census records. Many people were not counted at all, misspelled names were common, or if the head of household or a close relative was not at home, another informant might provide incorrect information. The indexing of the Ancestry.com census records also introduced other errors, with inaccurate transcriptions of names (Haney instead of Harvy or Harvey), incorrect race identification (misreading "W" for white instead of 'M' for mulatto or misidentifying a black person as white because they were the only black individual in a predominantly-white block in an enumeration district), and geographical places (Pennsanken instead of Pennsauken, an American Indian name), are examples of a faulty assumption or "opinion" I have observed. Whenever I encounter these errors, I send a comment with the correction so it is posted for use by other researchers. The existence of the combined enumeration and indexing errors means you must check the primary census records carefully, block by block if necessary, to locate your family.

      Carolyn

      On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Leonard Meek <lemeek@...> wrote:

      At least I got the 7 part right. Unfortunately, as with the Mormon records, a some of the data is opinion.

      Leonard