Archives

  • LeonardM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
      In case it isn't common knowlege, a good email address for geneological information is:

      archives@...

      I got some very good data on the Maggott/Magnett family from somewhere a while ago but I don't remember if it was this site or not. The lady that was doing the site apparently retired, as indicated by this:

      "Karen Henry has recently taken on the role as Archivist on the island. I've certainly found her to be very friendly and more than helpful. I would recommend you contact her on the following email address - archives@..."

      I've also found some very pertinent info on US Census reports going back to the late 1700's. After 76 years (I think) the census reports are made public and free to download.

      Leonard
    • Carolyn Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
        FYI, US census data is released after 72 years.

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams
      • Leonard Meek
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2012

          At least I got the 7 part right. Unfortunately, as with the Mormon records, a some of the data is opinion.

          Leonard

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2012
            Hi:

            Having worked for the US decennial census in 2000, I understand very well how enumerators made errors when filling out the census records. Many people were not counted at all, misspelled names were common, or if the head of household or a close relative was not at home, another informant might provide incorrect information. The indexing of the Ancestry.com census records also introduced other errors, with inaccurate transcriptions of names (Haney instead of Harvy or Harvey), incorrect race identification (misreading "W" for white instead of 'M' for mulatto or misidentifying a black person as white because they were the only black individual in a predominantly-white block in an enumeration district), and geographical places (Pennsanken instead of Pennsauken, an American Indian name), are examples of a faulty assumption or "opinion" I have observed. Whenever I encounter these errors, I send a comment with the correction so it is posted for use by other researchers. The existence of the combined enumeration and indexing errors means you must check the primary census records carefully, block by block if necessary, to locate your family.

            Carolyn