Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Captain Robert Jenkins

  • barryperrins@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005
      Dear Ian
      Re Jenkins.
      In 1741 Robert Jenkins arrived on the island to take charge and investigate a ' deficiency ' in the company funds. A certain Duke Crispe was found to be the one who was doing most of the embezziling aided by ? Bazett who where both of the council.
      Jenkins sacked the entire council and formed a new one.
      Crispe paid back most of the money and was allowed to leave the island.

      Hope this has been of help.
      Best Regards Barry

      Bazett Meyer <baz@...> wrote:
      Hello Ian,
      Philip Gosse, in his book "St Helena 1502 - 1938" (ISBN 0 904614395) gives a
      description of the purpose of Captain Jenkins' appointment as governor. If
      you can not get hold of the book contact me at baz@... and I will
      scan the relevant 2 pages for you and send it to your private address.
      Please take note that this book is still protected by copyright and I can
      only scan the pages based on the "fair usage" clause in the copyright law of
      South Africa.

      The book only covers his stay in St. Helena and does not give any
      description of his physical appearance.

      Regards
      Bazett Meyer

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Thanks Barry and Bazzet for the information. it seems then that my
        ancestor was only in charge for a very short time then, and only
        realy to clear up the embezzelment.This is quite refreshing for me
        because he seems to have had quite a bad press about his character
        in the press at the time and recently,however it seems that he must
        have been reasonably trust worthy to take on this task. One question
        though did he sail his own ship the 'Rebecca' to the island or did
        he come on board another ship.
        I will see if I can get the book, mentioned by you Bazzet.
        Is the governership of the island a yearly appointment or can it be
        longer--

        Service.

      • Bazett Meyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hallo Ian,

          Philip Gosse did not mention the name of the ship in which Jenkins arrived
          or his status on that ship.

          You are quite right that Captain Jenkins came to St Helena to clear up the
          mess. The embezzelment mainly consisted of shortage of cash and the names of
          non existing people on the pay roll. Jenkins immediately played a strong
          hand. When investigations were protracted - since most of the papers had
          been burnt he incarcerated Crispe (the previous governor) for a few days,
          and gave him a book on divinity to assist him in his meditations.

          Sic. It is quite clear that he could not be popular but it is clear that
          Jenkins came to St. Helena to do a job and not trying to be the most popular
          kid on the block.

          Jenkins' succesor arrived on 22 March, 1741, in the ship Harrington and
          Jenkis left on that ship and commanded her for the rest of the voyage.

          The term of a governor was not fixed but most of them stayed only a few
          years. There were of course exceptons to this, the most notable of these
          were Hudson Ralph JANISCH who held the position from 1873 to 1884. He also
          had the distinction of being born on the island and never left it during his
          life time.

          This is about the sum total in Gosse's book but I still recommend the book
          as I firmly believe that genealogy shoul be studied within the historic
          environment.

          Regards
          Bazett Meyer