Knipe Family of Saint Helena

  • sharonmcdunnah
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
      My GGG Grandfather Samuel Knipe came from the Island of Saint
      Helena. He was born abt 1780. His mother was Anna Penelope (Legg)
      Knipe. Don't know his father's name. He had a sister Mary who
      married Joseph Henry Fisher 30 Mar 1835 in Capetown, So. Africa.
      Samuel came into Boston Harbor as a young man and never returned to
      Saint Helena. Can anyone help with more info? Thanks in advance.
      Sharon
    • barryperrins@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
        Dear Sharon,
        In 1689 on St Helena JOHN KNIPE complained that Bridgett Coales the woman he was engaged to, was messing around with a butcher from the ship Modena. She compared Knipe to " an old dog of her fathers". For this insult an breaking of a marrage contract Bridgett was fined �15 damages.
        In 1691 Bridgett married Matthew Bazett my Gt gt gt gt gt....Grandfather.
        I also have a record of a Mary Knipe marrying Thomas Bazett in 1769.
        I hope this has been of some hope to you.
        Best regards Barry.

        sharonmcdunnah <sharonmcdunnah@...> wrote:

        My GGG Grandfather Samuel Knipe came from the Island of Saint
        Helena. He was born abt 1780. His mother was Anna Penelope (Legg)
        Knipe. Don't know his father's name. He  had a sister Mary who
        married Joseph Henry Fisher 30 Mar 1835 in Capetown, So. Africa.
        Samuel came into Boston Harbor as a young man and never returned to
        Saint Helena.  Can anyone help  with more info?  Thanks in advance.
        Sharon

        http://www.st-helena.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Bazett Meyer
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
          Hello Barry and Sharon,

          On the internet www.telepath.com/bweaver/sh-lib.html#janisch you will find an extract of "St Helena records - Letters to and from London" The following paragraphs described the events of Bridgett  Coales.

          The first time that we read about John Knipe in history was during October 1686 when his Bans for marriage to Mary Seale was read and Bridget Coales sued him for breach of promise. He confessed that he did promise to marry said Bridget and had to pay £10-00 damages to Mary Seale.

          The second time that we read of him in history is when he sued Bridget Coales for refusing to marry him and called him "downe look dog and compared him to an old dog of her father's". Bridget Coales had to pay £15-00 damages.

          It is interesting to note that Bridget Coales married Matthew Bazett and John Knipe married Mary Seale.

          Both couples were to become my ancestors.

          It is always nice to meet distant cousins.

          Regards

          Bazett Meyer