RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] The Martha's Vineyard Angle

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2012
      Quick reply - I may have more to contribute later. Martha's Vineyard is Dukes County, Massachusetts; and Ancestry.com does recognize that location. It was called Martha's Vineyard back then, although at least one of the town names changed over time.
      New Bedford, which is roughly across the water from Martha's Vineyard was one of the more common mainland ports of call for the Saints that I've found.
      My terrier just whelped a litter of 5 pups last night, and my genealogy brain cells have been transferred temporarily to canine midwifery, but I will make a note to reconsider your post in the near future.
      Christine

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: msulab@...
      Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:13:50 +0000
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] The Martha's Vineyard Angle

      Greetings!

      On this board, many people have talked about relatives who left St. Helena and sailed on whaling ships to Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts.

      I started to wonder if my St. Helen relatives did the same and was wondering what research and/or records are out there to find out who left the island and went to that area? When I check Ancestry.com, I can't find a decent location field for Martha's Vineyard since it probably wasn't called that in the early 1800's. I was wondering if anyone knew of a different name. I checked on the Internet and did not come up with much.

      If anyone has any information on this "St. Helena - Whaling concept", please let me know. This might explain why one of my St. Helena relatives ended up in Connecticut and Rhode Island. It is a long stretch, but I am desperate to find something.

      Thanks,

      Linda Mehlinger

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2012
        Christine,

        Thanks for the info. I will try that county on Ancestry.com.

        Linda