Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Captain Robert Jenkins

  • Bazett Meyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
      Hello Ian,
      Philip Gosse, in his book "St Helena 1502 - 1938" (ISBN 0 904614395) gives a
      description of the purpose of Captain Jenkins' appointment as governor. If
      you can not get hold of the book contact me at baz@... and I will
      scan the relevant 2 pages for you and send it to your private address.
      Please take note that this book is still protected by copyright and I can
      only scan the pages based on the "fair usage" clause in the copyright law of
      South Africa.

      The book only covers his stay in St. Helena and does not give any
      description of his physical appearance.

      Regards
      Bazett Meyer

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2005
        Dear Ian
        Re Jenkins.
        In 1741 Robert Jenkins arrived on the island to take charge and investigate a ' deficiency ' in the company funds. A certain Duke Crispe was found to be the one who was doing most of the embezziling aided by ? Bazett who where both of the council.
        Jenkins sacked the entire council and formed a new one.
        Crispe paid back most of the money and was allowed to leave the island.

        Hope this has been of help.
        Best Regards Barry

        Bazett Meyer <baz@...> wrote:
        Hello Ian,
        Philip Gosse, in his book "St Helena 1502 - 1938" (ISBN 0 904614395) gives a
        description of the purpose of Captain Jenkins' appointment as governor. If
        you can not get hold of the book contact me at baz@... and I will
        scan the relevant 2 pages for you and send it to your private address.
        Please take note that this book is still protected by copyright and I can
        only scan the pages based on the "fair usage" clause in the copyright law of
        South Africa.

        The book only covers his stay in St. Helena and does not give any
        description of his physical appearance.

        Regards
        Bazett Meyer

        > I am a decendant of Captain Robert Jenkins,Who was Governer of St
        > Helena in 1742, does anyone have any information on his time in the
        > island, I have gathered from my family and other sources information
        > on his earlier career and the famous/infamous ''war of jenkins ear''
        > however things seem to be missing about his time on the island and
        > his life after. If anyone knows of a portrait of him that would be a
        > dream come true. If he did anything of note on the island that would
        > be nice to know as well.Does anyone know if he was a red head as it
        > is a family trait and it would be nice to see if it went as far back
        > as him.I hope to hear from anyone on this subject or point me in the
        > right direction.

        > For information on St Helena family history see
        > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
        >
        > For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
        > http://www.st-helena.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.st-helena.org

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Ian Jenkins
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Thanks Barry and Bazzet for the information. it seems then that my
          ancestor was only in charge for a very short time then, and only
          realy to clear up the embezzelment.This is quite refreshing for me
          because he seems to have had quite a bad press about his character
          in the press at the time and recently,however it seems that he must
          have been reasonably trust worthy to take on this task. One question
          though did he sail his own ship the 'Rebecca' to the island or did
          he come on board another ship.
          I will see if I can get the book, mentioned by you Bazzet.
          Is the governership of the island a yearly appointment or can it be
          longer--

          Service.

        • Bazett Meyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            Hallo Ian,

            Philip Gosse did not mention the name of the ship in which Jenkins arrived
            or his status on that ship.

            You are quite right that Captain Jenkins came to St Helena to clear up the
            mess. The embezzelment mainly consisted of shortage of cash and the names of
            non existing people on the pay roll. Jenkins immediately played a strong
            hand. When investigations were protracted - since most of the papers had
            been burnt he incarcerated Crispe (the previous governor) for a few days,
            and gave him a book on divinity to assist him in his meditations.

            Sic. It is quite clear that he could not be popular but it is clear that
            Jenkins came to St. Helena to do a job and not trying to be the most popular
            kid on the block.

            Jenkins' succesor arrived on 22 March, 1741, in the ship Harrington and
            Jenkis left on that ship and commanded her for the rest of the voyage.

            The term of a governor was not fixed but most of them stayed only a few
            years. There were of course exceptons to this, the most notable of these
            were Hudson Ralph JANISCH who held the position from 1873 to 1884. He also
            had the distinction of being born on the island and never left it during his
            life time.

            This is about the sum total in Gosse's book but I still recommend the book
            as I firmly believe that genealogy shoul be studied within the historic
            environment.

            Regards
            Bazett Meyer